Winch Drum Re-Chrome

Salty Dawg

Sic Em WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF
:confused: The drums on my Lewmar 43's are starting to show their age. The bronze is beginning to show through the chrome......anyone out there ever had their drums re-chromed??

Thanks in advance,:egrin:

Captron

Member III
Re-chrome

I don't have direct experience but a friend recently found a local shop to do the winch drums and other winch parts ... this particular shop had some experience with winches and I think the charges were pretty reasonable ... on the order of $75 each if I recall correctly. Of course, he delivered them to the shop and picked them up again.

He was quite satisfied with the result. If you like I can try to find the name and phone number of the shop in the Tampa-St Pete area of Florida.

Sven

Seglare
The bronze is beginning to show through the chrome......anyone out there ever had their drums re-chromed??

If you wait a bit I'm sure Glyn will sign on and tell you how to get them de-chromed so none of the bronze will be obscured by that pesky chrome.

-Sven

Last edited:

Glyn Judson

Chrome? We don't need no stinkin' chrome on our winches!

Now, now Sven, be nice or I'll pour all the chrome I had taken off on your drop board hinges. Glyn

hcpookie

Member III
Forgive the dumb question, but is this the same process as that used to chrome auto parts like motorcycle frames, etc?

Emerald

What the heck, had a good sailing weekend, so we'll forgive your question :devil: , but yes, it's just standard plating stuff, like your old Chevy's bumper. Now, as far as your auto having a motorcycle frame as part of its assembly....:eek:

Last edited:

Salty Dawg

Sic Em WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF
Sorry for the belated reply.....If you could provide the info for the shop in St. Pete it would be most appreciated....the cheapest $ I have been able to find is $225 each. It could save me several bucks even with the shipping.

Thanks again

Captron

Member III
Chrome Plating

Hi,
I'm pretty sure the name of the place is

Classic Chrome,
14835 49th St N
Clearwater, FL 33762

(727) 531-2000

BUT it was a couple of years ago and I'm not that sure of the price ... it'd be worth a call though.:unsure: