Wilcox Headmate Replacement

Pete the Cat

Member III
There is another thread on this matter. After rebuilding my Headmate 3 times over 30 years and never getting it to stop leaking somewhere all over whenever flushed, I refused to buy the rebuild kit again and bought a cheap Swedish version of the Jabsco (or the Jabsco might be a cheap imitation of the Swedish model). In any case, it works great, doesn't leak and costs just a few dollars more than the rebuild kit if you can find one. I took my Headmate to the dumpster to avoid hexing any other person with its dysfunction and had a beer to celebrate my decision. They are evil. I have a Jabsco electric head on my Ericson and it is the picture of simplicity and works fine also. I have no idea why I put up with the Headmate for all those years.

sailinggreg

Member I
Christian and Frank,

Thank you both for your quick replies!

Since the head has always worked great (and we don't use it much), my plan is to first try just replacing the joker valve and see if that takes care of the problem.

Regarding the Raritan joker valves, anyone know if I should buy the black or the redish/pink ones? I'm not sure if there's a difference in size or shape.

I've read negative reviews of the Raritan joker valves on West Marine's website. People seem to complain about the rubber now used in their manufacture, that it doesn't hold the shape like it used to. So the valves only last a matter of months. That would be enough for me to then replace the whole head.

Thanks,

Greg

Pete the Cat

Member III
Christian and Frank,

Thank you both for your quick replies!

Since the head has always worked great (and we don't use it much), my plan is to first try just replacing the joker valve and see if that takes care of the problem.

Regarding the Raritan joker valves, anyone know if I should buy the black or the redish/pink ones? I'm not sure if there's a difference in size or shape.

I've read negative reviews of the Raritan joker valves on West Marine's website. People seem to complain about the rubber now used in their manufacture, that it doesn't hold the shape like it used to. So the valves only last a matter of months. That would be enough for me to then replace the whole head.

Thanks,

Greg
The Headmate replacement joker valves in their rebuild kits were black. I did not know that joker valves are generic.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Greg,
Given that you're going to try to repair the existing toilet with a new joker valve, you might also want to replace the valves at the top of the pump mechanism. Those valve are not expensive, are easy to replace, and can also cause the toilet to fill with water if you don't always close the seacock. That is also a regular maintenance item.
You could probably order the correct joker valve and other valves from the supplier at the same time.
Frank

Pete the Cat

Member III
I think you will find the rebuild kit very expensive, but maybe I just got a bad deal on the last ones I bought. If you do rebuild the whole thing (and I agree about the importance of the internal pump valves Frank mentions) be very careful to note their exact orientation when you disassemble them and the spring and cam that holds one of them in place--the instructions are not clear about this. And be very careful with the delicate gasket for the pump assembly because, if it is not perfect, water will spray all over and it can be damaged if assembled incorrectly. Also be careful not to over tighten the screws holding the pump assembly together; you will note that they are sheet metal screws that home into plastic and are easily stripped. Good luck. i think I might have an unused joker valve replacement in my boat I would send you, but that boat is 2700 miles away and under cover for the winter.

sailinggreg

Member I
Thanks Frank and Pete,

This is what I was asking. Are these valve rebuild kits even available? If anyone knows a specific place to buy them, please let me know. I understood the original manufacturer was long gone (and the company that bought Wilcox-Crittenden Head-Mate heads as well is no longer supplying parts)?

Pete, - thanks for the detailed warnings about doing the valve rebuild carefully. I see from your profile that maybe your boat is in Alameda, mine too! Just tell me your slip number and come I'll break in for that joker valve. :) Just kidding!

Thanks,

Greg
P.S. Pete the Cat, my wife says, she loves your white shoes. :)

sailinggreg

Member I
Hi All,

Fyi, I called Raritan directly and they couldn't confirm or deny that their joker valves work with the Wilcox-Crittenden Head-Mate head, but didn't think so. She referred me to Marine Sanitation & Supply, saying they have lots of Wilcox-Crittenden parts. A look at Marine San's website (marinesan.com) shows (like a number of suppliers) that they list parts (repair kit, pump assembly) no longer available.

I went ahead and called Marine Sanitation just to be sure. Person I spoke to confirmed, not going to get those repair kits or pump assemby any more. She seemed knowledgable and very definite that the Raritan joker valves will fit my Wilcox-Crittenden Head-Mate. I said that I just spoke with Raritan and they didn't think so, she said "well they wouldn't know". Also fyi, both confirmed that the redish Raritan joker valves are the old ones and the new ones are black.

So I just ordered a 2-pack of Raritan joker valves [from West Marine, still 10% off for Cyber Monday. :) ]. I'll try those first and see if that fixes the issue. Otherwise, I'll probably be in the same position Pete the Cat was and just get a new head.

Thanks for everyone's replies and recommendations.

Greg

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
A look at Marine San's website (marinesan.com) shows (like a number of suppliers) that they list parts (repair kit, pump assembly) no longer available.

Another option is to replace the pump itself. The Raritan PH-II pump is "almost" a bolt-on replacement for the WC Headmate pump - the mounting holes need to be opened up a touch, or you can use smaller bolts, your choice. But it's available and a MUCH better pump.

$.02

Selkie

My 1981 E 28+ has a dying if not already dead W-C ” Head Mate” does anyone know if there are other brands of Marine Heads the would be a fairly easy replacement, I found a good price on a new Jabsco unit with “ twist and lock” feature. From what I have read in these comments sound like the W-C head mate was, and is the source of many Ericson owners headaches.
Felipe

Frank Langer

My 1981 E 28+ has a dying if not already dead W-C ” Head Mate” does anyone know if there are other brands of Marine Heads the would be a fairly easy replacement, I found a good price on a new Jabsco unit with “ twist and lock” feature. From what I have read in these comments sound like the W-C head mate was, and is the source of many Ericson owners headaches.
Felipe
We replaced ours with a Jabsco about 17 years ago and have never regretted it. The Jabsco has worked well, and any parts are readily available.
Frank

Selkie

Frank - Did you replace the same Model, the W-C " Head Mate"? Was the Jabsco unit a direct fit without lots of modifications? Do you know the Jabsco model number? That would help me track one down. I would greatly appreciate any info you could offer me about replacing the W-C unit.
Felipe

Frank Langer

Frank - Did you replace the same Model, the W-C " Head Mate"? Was the Jabsco unit a direct fit without lots of modifications? Do you know the Jabsco model number? That would help me track one down. I would greatly appreciate any info you could offer me about replacing the W-C unit.
Felipe
Felipe,
I can't remember the model of the old toilet, but it was a wilcox crittenden, and parts were hard to find then. I bought the basic compact Jabsco toilet (not the larger household size) and the install was easy, though I did have to drill 2 new holes for the mounting lag screws. That was 17 years ago, so I can't remember much more about it. The toilet has worked well since, with just occasional maintenance.
Frank