Why Mario Goes Old School Offshore

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
I've been reading the famed USCG Rescue Swimmer Mario Vittone's blog for a couple years. Recently he posted a video of why he does not like inflatable offshore vest that many use (including the Admiral and me)......

He makes several good points, you nearly choke when inflated and where that handy pocket (where my PLB resides) ends up after inflation.

http://mariovittone.com/2015/06/boa...flatable-vs-non-inflatable-why-im-old-school/

https://vimeo.com/132245870

Last edited:

Grizz

Grizz
Crotch Straps

The 2015 Chicago-Mac Safety Regs addressed one, perhaps not all, of the stated objections in this manner:

3. If the PFD is inflatable, crotch strap or leg straps shall be fitted and attached.

This can be achieved via a retrofit crotch strap or buying a pfd with OEM crotch straps.

Not perfect, but it certainly keeps the inflated vest from riding up/over your head when immersed.

I'll hang up and listen to your replies!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Food for thought, indeed

Good video production and his comments seem well reasoned.

But....... he mentions the harness only in passing and having a harness must not be important to him at all.

Two points: 1) wearing a PFD is promoted heavily by water safety folks for the reason that wearing ANY life jacket is safer than wearing none - and "none" is the choice of masses of recreational boaters and that includes sailors.

2) by ignoring the presence of the harness he fails to understand how vital this is for actual use on deck. I recall that when the first life jackets came on the market with inflation (those "aspirin pill" inflators) and a "built in" harness, we were all (!) delighted not to have to deal with separate harness and life jacket ensembles any more. Getting into and out of those in a dark and rolling cabin at 2 am was quite challenging. This was after getting into chest-high foulies and a heavy foul weather coat.... that was over several layers of clothing beneath. And then there was the opportunity for sea sickness while struggling with all that before getting out into the cockpit and breathing some fresh air. :rolleyes:

I have heard the same reservations expressed before about the "fit" when inflated and have no reason to doubt him. This is a different issue than the riding up issue that the crotch strap addresses.

He makes a good argument, but it's not clear just how to proceed. A high-end ensolite jacket would indeed be a good idea, but finding one with a harness might be difficult. I did a search and have not found any.
We each have the hydro type from Mustang. http://www.mustangsurvival.com/recreational/md3184?division=recreation&country=25

This is interesting information.
Thanks much for posting the link.

Loren

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
Even some of the really high dollar inflatable vests have been reported to have serious issues.
http://www.practical-sailor.com/blog/Report-Cites-Problems-with-Spinlock-Deckvests-11226-1.html

I wear a whitewater kayaking rescue type life jacket with a built in harness.
attachment.php
Not the one pictured but similar.
It has pockets big enough to store my gps, my flashlight, and a granola bar. I also have my Spyderco Enuff fixed blade, and my tiny handheld radio, and a strobe attached to the outside along with two tethers for moving around the deck. And the best part is nothing ever gets in the way or gets snagged as I move about the deck.
The whitewater life jackets keep you floating a bit higher in the water than the typical survival life jackets and are cut for ease of movement, way better even than a ski vest, but they won't roll you over or keep your head above water if you are unconscious, although in 35 years I have never been knocked out so Im not too worried about that one. They also must be worn in order to be approved as far as the coast guard is concerned. I keep a few of the $8 crappy ones in the locker just to appease the coast guard as well.

I agree with the video, as a kayaker, rafter and all around professional river bum I spent a lot of time over the years floating in all kinds of life jackets, sometimes for an hour or more just for fun, and I can say I would chose my life jacket for a serious job over any other I have tried in most cases. If I had to jump overboard to climb into a life raft or for helicopter rescue its not so bulky to cause problems, I know because I have climbed into a river raft hundreds of times over the years with many kinds of life jacket on and it would be a real problem with a big inflatable bubble between you and the raft. The only time a bulkier vest would be better in my opinion is if you had to be in the water long enough you might fall asleep. (not an issue in the cold Oregon water though)

If I were to chose between a life jacket and a harness I would take the harness, because I can swim a lot longer than I can resist the effects of the cold, and falling overboard is a bigger risk than my boat sinking.

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
+1 on the whitewater PFD. I usually wear mine because it is more comfortable than the inflatable.

I think the whole thought behind inflatables was just to get more people to wear PFD's, because that's the biggest problem - people not wearing them.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
My thinking is the best one is one that you WILL wear. Marcos Mustang vest looks great, but would I wear one on deck, probably not (unless I knew we were in for rough weather or conditions). I like the idea of the kayak vest.