Who has sawed off the threaded rod end of their glow plugs for a better fit?

Doug177

Member III
Had to take off my intake manifold to get the old forward plug out. Replaced them all and hooked them up to wiring to see if my fuse was still blowing. Everything fine. They got warm, no fuses blowing. I used Y103K NGK's I see that Y103V's are 1 mm shorter.

So I unhooked the glow plug jumpers to make it easier to get the intake manifold back on.

I then put the intake manifold on and torqued it.

THEN I put the jumper wire's back on and tried to put the glow plug wiring nuts on and tighten them.
Got the aft one on with no problem, but the next two glow plug threaded connectors were so tight against the inside of the intake manifold it is almost impossible to get them lined up to match up and get started with the threads. I am still looking for two nuts in the bilge.

IS THERE A TRICK to getting these on? The threaded electrical portions are overlong and I could take my Dremel and easily knock off 1/8 inch and have all the clearance I need. I should have done this before installing them.

HELP!

Doug

Doug177

Member III
A millimeter short of happiness.....I had to loosen the intake manifold a tad

glow-plug-nut-not-fit.jpgglow-plug-nut-fit.jpg

I think the lesson learned is to trim a little off that first glow plug top before screwing it into the block or wire and nut the plugs before putting the intake manifold back on. It is certainly a tight fit.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Looks like you came up with a good idea. One that most all of us should remember because some day, when we least expect it ...

Thanks for posting it. Better than chopping off the stud.

David Westcott

I just replaced my glow plugs and had the same tight fit problem for threading the nuts back on. I was able to do it by torquing the post a bit to the side with a screwdriver but next time I also think I will grind a bit off the top of the post. It helps to put the nut on before grinding so that the threads get cleaned and straightened by removing the nut after the grinding.