Where to find good butyl caulk?

Wander

Member II
Can anyone recommend a brand and/or source for good, marine grade butyl caulk? I know I can get a variety of options from places like Home Depot or Amazon, but I don't know if these will cut the mustard on a boat. I've got access to some good butyl tape, but I need to rebed the glass in my top hatches and I think butyl caulk would fill the gaps best.
Thanks,
Joe

Wander

Member II
Really? There are a lot of products out there that claim to be butyl caulk. Is this not the same thing?

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I installed my new windows with the stuff the RV stores sell, but have seen in articles by Maine Sail that it is not the preferred stuff. On the other hand it is working and the windows are not leaking. If they do start to leak I guess I will be looking for something else.

Isn't the material used to install auto windshields "butyl caulk?" Seems like that would be available from an auto supply company or a business that replaces windshields.

Wander

Member II
One more piece of information. I'm looking for a caulk that is black, which will match what was in use in the past. Again, this is to caulk the gap between the wooden hatch and the lexan 'glass'.
Thanks,
Joe

Wander

Member II
Thanks Tad. That link was for butyl tape, which I did order so I don't have to always steal from my friends. Still loolking for butyl caulk or an equivalent for my hatches.

Wander

Member II
David, Thanks. That is what I was looking for. I had actually ordered the butyl tape from the link tadslc provided above. It's grey rather than black but is 1/2" wide which should be a bit easier to work with than the 1.5" stuff from McMaster (and half the price.) But the butyl caulk hit the mark and I've placed the order.

Thanks everyone for their input.
Joe

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
At the bottom of Maine Sail's page on butyl tape that Tad provided the link for, I noticed the following comment:

I am very shocked at epoxy overbore failures you are reporting. Yikes. I swallowed that program hook line & sinker.

I am very curious to know what this is about and if anyone can link to those reports.

Wander

Member II
That post was dated almost a year ago with no reply, so we can only guess. I don't know if that is the same Maine Sail that posts here, maybe he can add some insight. I'm assuming the 'epoxy overbore' that is referenced is the practice of removing some of the inner core material and back-filling with epoxy before mounting deck hardware. I haven't heard anything before this that would detract from that recommendation. Anyone else have any input on this?

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
What you describe is what I thought was being referred to in the comment. I was thinking of re-bedding my stanchions and using that method, but now, maybe not...

Maine Sail

Member III
At the bottom of Maine Sail's page on butyl tape that Tad provided the link for, I noticed the following comment:

I am very curious to know what this is about and if anyone can link to those reports.

That was a reader who posted about my statement about complete over bores of both skins, where you drill one large hole then fill it with epoxy and re-drill a smaller hole in the middle. This is different than routing out the core from between the skins and filling.

I have seen a some instances where a complete overbore has pulled away from the deck and that, I think, is what he was opining about...

I usually respond with an email to comments but if no email I don't...

Last edited:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
That was a reader who posted about my statement about complete over bores of both skins, where you drill one large hole then fill it with epoxy and re-drill a smaller hole in the middle.

That was what I suspected. Thanks for the clarification.