Where is your shore power inlet .

steven

Sustaining Member
Mine is near the engine instrument panel two inches above the cockpit sole. if the cockpit picks up a couple inches of water the inlet is partially submerged. I intend to move it. But where ?

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Port side rear cockpit corner, also a few inches above the cockpit sole (opposite side of engine panel)...Have 2, one is dedicated to HVAC, 15k BTU Dometic unit. Installer said it was not required; however highly recommended. After returning from a sail, ladies like to go below and chat...95+ degree days demand that convenience or ladies may abort. I do everything I can to make things comfortable for them; if the ladies are happy, so goes the fellas!

Chris Mc.

Member III
Mine, as pictured, is on the port side and roughly 10 inches from the floor.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 7

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
(fourth picture in this little group)

Ours is back on now, and in the same place as EY put it in 1988. High up on a combing. I agree with the thought that higher is better than too low - near the cockpit sole.

Sailingfun

Member III
Mine have 2, one on each side because you never know how far is the connectio at diferent marinas. System include a transfer box.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Port side, aft end of the port cockpit locker about 10" from sole. Often thought it would be nice to have one forward, maybe in the anchor locker? It just always seems that the stern location is the furthest point from shore power which means dragging a 50' cable the full length of the boat. Probably have to install a switch to select which one is hot.

Teranodon

Member III
But another question is: how many owners have gone over to the SmartPlug, which is supposed to be safer?. I'm thinking about it. In the meantime, the plug on my E34 is on the starboard side, about as far aft as it can be. Given the location of the power connector on the dock, the standard 50ft cable is just uncomfortably short. Figures.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Great timing, I just finished the smart plug install today. No fires, so we're off to a good start.

If I was starting from scratch, I'd put it higher up on the back side if the coming. The stock location is always in the way of my feet when we're at the dock and it's pretty far from the panel. I just really don't want to patch the hole.

Attachments

• 20210410_164718.jpg
    20210410_164718.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 4

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Mine is high and dry (ish) on the port side at the rear of the house/outside of the coaming - this puts the terminal inside the “galley cabinet” that also contains the backs of the sailing instruments and (after I moved them) the engine controls. I inherited that arrangement, but I like it, compared with some of the above, since my cockpit can and does fill with snow and ice and subsequent melt-water.

Of course, what you want is the shortest distance to the main AC panel and/or a main AC breaker box.

IMG_3071.png
yeah, the house desperately needs repainting - after I figure out how to fix the gel-coat chicken-pox.