Where do you keep your boat?

Where do you keep your boat?

• Total voters

HGSail

Member III
Dock- Ventura, CA.

The only moorings that I know of in SOCAL would be in Newport,CA. and maybe and that's a big maybe San Diego.

Pat
E29
'73
Holy Guacamole

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Cruising is easy because you can go an hour or a week in any direction, and find a place to drop an anchor for the night.

How much of the year (if any) is the water warm enough to swim in? You seem to be describing ideal cruising ground, but one of my favourite boating things to do is jump over the rail to get some exercise.

San Diego has a lot of moorings. Unless things have changed within the last few years, they are not expensive, but there is a waiting list. There is also an anchorage in the south of the bay at the limits of navigable waters, that must have been free to use judging by the boats there. I used to canoe through them, it was the kind of place a dog would run onto the deck and bark you off if you got too close.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Also, I will try that rum punch recipe when I get my boat underway again... You should add it to the Lifestyle and Living thread.

Gareth

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
How much of the year (if any) is the water warm enough to swim in? You seem to be describing ideal cruising ground, but one of my favourite boating things to do is jump over the rail to get some exercise.

It absolutely is ideal cruising ground. There's a 500 page cruising guide with 1 to 4 different harbors described on each page (Cruising Guide to the Maine Coast, Taft and Taft), so there's no shortage of places to explore. People come up from everywhere on the east coast to cruise the Maine Coast between Casco Bay and the Bay of Fundy. It's certainly an East Coast cruising mecca.

You've sort of figured out the catch though. :oops: The water temperature right now is 62. I like to swim in it during the summer months. It's a great cool-off after a hot day sailing. But particularly early in the year, it'll make your legs tingle after a few minutes.

Steve Swann

Member III
Trailers justified

Tawni and I just got back from a week on Lake Tahoe and we had a great time trailering our 25 down there for a short week of sailing. It is a beautiful place, mostly light breezes, but in my opinion, too expensive.

At Tahoe Keys Marina, we were charged $2/ft./day to stay there. Add to this a launch fee of $30 (we stepped our own mast, we used our truck to back into the water, boat was on our trailer, we used our dock lines, it was our boat-handling crew), plus we paid a dredging fee, plus some other charges and taxes. It worked out to about $61 per day for each of the 5 days we were on the water - all this for a self-contained 25 ft. sailboat. Oh, and on our dock we had no FW hookup, no pump-out, and no electrical service. I came home and pumped out my own blackwater tank, too. Great time, spectacular scenery, but not for the faint of pocket book. And we thought flying was expensive....

The best part of the week was sailing past the Catalina 250's. Our E25 fully loaded with stuff for the week absolutely shreds them; they might as well been sailing the other direction - and, again just my opinion, they aren't as pretty as Ericsons on the water, either! :egrin:

Meanolddad

Member III
San Pedro Moorings

We have our boat in a slip in Fish Harbor on Terminal Island near San Pedro. There are probably 15 or 20 moorings associated with the marina. The docks are 8.00 a ft per month and the moorings are 7.00 a foot per month. A small marina near a shipyard. No shops or restaurants near, you have to drive for anything. Nice and quiet with a lot of good people. Closest marina to the open ocean and Catalina Island. We are in Hurricane gulch with LOTS of wind.
Every once and a while we talk about moving to one of the larger Marinas. The cost and congestion keeps us where we are.
Greg :egrin:

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
You've sort of figured out the catch though. :oops: The water temperature right now is 62. I.

I generally think anything over 60F is enjoyable to swim in, maybe a couple of degrees lower on a hot day; but water in the mid 50s is only good for the shock factor. In the height of summer Maine really sounds like perfection.

Gareth

e38sailorman

Member II
Here in Puget Sound, not many moorings, at least not like back East, where as I understand there are hundreds and skiffs to take you back and forth to your mooring. Here almost everyone has a slip, I'm in Gig Harbor, (a really nice place) water and electricity at the slip $8.50 per foot per month another $90.00 per month for a storage locker at the top of the dock 8x20 ft. 10 minutes to motor out to the open water...so overall a great place to live and sail!

Marc
E38-200 WaveWalker #301

Steve Swann

Member III
Yikes!

Marc & Group,

Since this is a discussion of "where do you keep your boat?," Just an opinion that justifies what WE do and the benefits WE like. It is certainly a big compromise to some, but there are offsetting benefits for US. I am writing this not as an argument or to sway anybody, so please, no one be offended!

Wow, that seems like a lot of money; nearly $5,000 per year! This is one big reason that we stay committed to a smaller sailboat. We would feel as though we would have to make frequent long trips to the marina - about 500 miles for us - or, become fulltime liveaboards (hmmmmm..:egrin:).

We know the 38's are spectacular boats (yes, and so are all the other Ericsons, too), but there is a lot to be said about the other end of the spectrum owning a baby Ericson. We LOVE the flexibility of traveling over land with our boat following as our camper to go exploring new bodies of water.

We will be trailering "Seahorse" to northern Idaho this month for a week-long trip to Priest Lake, then to Port Townsend in mid-September, then San Carlos, Mexico in November for a month-long trip. We use the money saved in marina fees and hotels in trade for truck fuel to get to various climes and sailing grounds at 65 mph. How cool is this?

Steve Swann
Boise, ID

Gary Peterson

Marine Guy
Fresh Water

We keep our 381 QUIXOTIC at Ford Yacht Club at the mouth of Lake Erie.
Most of the boat and yacht clubs are cheaper than the public marinas around Lake Erie, plus we have reciprocal club docking privileges when we travel. Our season runs from around May 1st to the middle of October. I think we pay around $750.00 for the season and around $250.00 for winter storage. We have club dues but they are less than $500.00 ayear. What is bad is that we can walk on our water during the winter!:egrin:

jkm

Member III
about Maine

Nate is right about the Maine coast. I've never found anything like it in the world. The rocky bound coast has one excellent anchorage after another and all are free.

Season is rather short June 20th to August 10, after that fog, fog and more fog though maybe this climate change has altered that.

Swimming in the ocean there will make more than your legs tingle, if you get my drift.

It's truly a cruisers paradise.

John

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Yes, we have fog, but it's on the order of a few days a month, and it's not what limits the season. (The more relevant limiting factor is the possibility of nightime frost in early May, or late September!). The fog only lays you up for a half-day here and there. This year I've seen only one day that was completely bound by fog from sunrise to sunset.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
And as far as swimming is concerned there are quite a few places that will make it into the low 70s depending on the tide and time of day. I can tell you where these places are for a good bottle of scotch or bourbon!:egrin:

Just for the record, I typically sail from May 1st to October 30th give or take a week on either side. June and Sep. are usually the best months. Warm days, cool nights, very little fog and great NW winds that allow us to go east west very easily.

jkm

Member III
Old Orchard Beach and Prouts Neck (back beach)!!!

I'll buy you a bowl of Chowdah down to Centerboard when I come home for a few days in September. (You get the first round)

John

jkm

Member III
I'll be there towards the end of the month-colors you know.

I have to swing by Boothbay Harbor to see my childhood friend who's the town Doc,but will be in CE for at least a week.

John

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Marc & Group,
Wow, that seems like a lot of money; nearly $5,000 per year! This is one big reason that we stay committed to a smaller sailboat. We would feel as though we would have to make frequent long trips to the marina - about 500 miles for us - or, become fulltime liveaboards (hmmmmm..:egrin:).

We know the 38's are spectacular boats (yes, and so are all the other Ericsons, too), but there is a lot to be said about the other end of the spectrum owning a baby Ericson. We LOVE the flexibility of traveling over land with our boat following as our camper to go exploring new bodies of water.

We will be trailering "Seahorse" to northern Idaho this month for a week-long trip to Priest Lake, then to Port Townsend in mid-September, then San Carlos, Mexico in November for a month-long trip. We use the money saved in marina fees and hotels in trade for truck fuel to get to various climes and sailing grounds at 65 mph. How cool is this?

Steve Swann
Boise, ID

There are many good points on this thread. I can't see paying $4K-$5K a year just to keep a boat at a slip. I simply wouldn't do it. There wouldn't be enough funds left over to do upgrades or even keep the boat in decent shape. It also would really irk me to give that much money to ANY of the marinas around here. Moorings here in RI are far cheaper if you rent or even own your own. I understand that some like the convenience, etc. and thats fine if you can swallow the bottom line. I'm actually glad you can, because if you couldn't, you'd be competing with me for moorings! Right now, in my current club, I could swing a slip financially but I would rather spend the money saved by using a mooring on upgrades, etc. If my club situation ever changes I will certainly never be able to afford a slip anywhere else and possibly not swing the cost of a mooring either. Thats the breaks. I am just happy there is the mooring alternative where I am.

Regarding trailering, I think its a great idea if thats what you want and it works for you, then its cool. Being able to move your boat around yourself if a highly underestimated advantage. No haulout/splash costs, storage costs, transportation costs, cheaper insurance, easier to avoid storms, take your boat on vacation, etc. If something ever happened to Ruby the next boat is a F31 Corsair trailerable trimaran for most of the reasons above. RT

sleather

Sustaining Member
Lucky on my little Pond

For the last 22 years I've had the "good fortune" to have my E23 & various powerboats @ my pier, @ my house. That makes it very handy for a quick getaway after work, security during "bad weather"(she got hit by a F0 tornado in '95 as I watched from the bsmt.), parties (another spare room) and routine maintenance.

They do make "pretty" lawn ornaments too! If it's "windy" we sail, if not we go for a "cruise" or go fishing, I just have to change hats!

For 5 years (X .5 seasonal adjustment) I could take my powerboat to work, a 20 mi. round trip. For the first 8 yrs I had a ramp 1/4 mi. from the house(launch & retrieve solo), then the "condos" came. It even lives on the trailer in my driveway in the "hard" season. Never out of sight, never out of mind! I'll bet she's got more miles on her than 90% of "blue water" boats.

It's amazing that for a 3 bdrm. house, on the water, I'm only paying $700/m.
I can't afford to move!!! When I NEED big water we just hook'er up & head for Michigan or Superior.

All things must pass, the landlords SON is going to rip her down & start over in about 5 yrs. Till then, I'm Lucky on My Little Pond!

Last edited:

Kevin Johnston

Member III
7 hour commute to our boat

Sometimes I wish I could step out my door and go sailing but it is 300+ miles one way. It takes planning and expense.

Our boat is in the most ideal harbor on the west coast; secure, new, well protected (built with donations from John Wayne's Estate). It is a 35 mile reach to some of the best island destinations (The San Juan and Gulf Islands). The Straits of Juan De Fuca are a natural wind tunnel created by the Olympic Mountain on one side and the mountains on Vancouver Island on the other.

You are swept to the islands at the North with the incoming tides and flushed out of the islands on an ebb where the tide travels due South. If you ever have studied a tide chart, only from Sequim bay does this happen. It is just too amazing.

There is always a blow (better be if I am driving 7 hours one way). Dedicated no, crazy more like it. Orcas off my stern and dolporpises jumping at my bow wake. I could locate my boat closer and there are some inland lakes that offer some good sailing but it really doesn't get any better. I have had some amazing trips over the years that inland sailing in this region couldn't provided.
<!-- / message -->

Last edited: