When to reef? Putting this experience out there (be gentle?)

907Juice

Continuously learning
If you are going to add a pendant to your sail to clip your new tack to the boom, I would recommend making t out of a length of dyneema instead of wire, the chafe from wire would not be good.

As for the new clew of the sail, it should come out of the end of the boom, through the clew, and be tied to your boom. If you do what the photo suggests, the force required to shape the sail is huge.

You shouldnt need a toping lift to help you out unless you don't have a rigid vang. Just make sure to ease the main sheet before putting he reef in.

-P

You're exactly right and that is the way I had it. I didn't quite understand your directions about the clew but did some more searching and now it makes sense. i have some more homework and shopping to do before I go back down.

907Juice

Continuously learning
I think what you're suggesting is a reefing strop which is made from webbing and a couple of rigging rings.

An easier (though maybe less secure?) way to get started is rig a pennant as Christian suggested. Fasten one end of a line near the gooseneck on the off side, up through the cringle, and back down to the mast at the level of the boom. Simply haul down on this pennant (rope) to bring the new tack down and cleat it off.
View attachment 22441View attachment 22442

YES! That is just about exactly what I was thinking. Pic and all. I'm not sure how I missed that when I first read the cruising world article. I saw it when I went back and it is making more sense. It is kinda funny cause the boat I learned to sail on was a nice boat that had all the rigging run back to the cockpit so I never learned about all the intrinsic factors that go into reefing.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Regarding "dog bones," you can make one in five minutes with any scrap of line tied in a loop, and a spare shackle on each end as temporary stainless rings.

That alsos give you the exact size needed before you turn to the sewing machine to prepare the permanent tape strap.

It's a rare mainsail whose reef tack cringles will easily hook onto boom horns without dog bones--rare, and worn out.

Single biggest puzzle to new owners reefing for first time.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
I look at reefing as helm dependent not wind dependent. If your rudder is cranked over to keep the bow off the wind (weather helm), it is like deploying the flaps on an airplane. You will lift to windward but do it slowly as that big steering board at the back of the boat becomes a speed brake. Reefing eases the helm. My E-34 seems to be as fast with just the jib only over 18kn of wind and it certainly is easier to handle. Experiment with various combos for speed and ease of handling. The results may surprise you. The 150 has no place in over 10kn of wind except to create heal and scare guests.

Last edited: