When should I consider replacing my standing rigging?

gabriel

Live free or die hard
According to the factory manual for my boat: “with proper care the standing rigging should last a lifetime”. :eek: Maybe a medium sized dog lifetime?

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The new - double spreader, but continuous - rig totaled 3K, all built out. There is easily another 1.5 to 2K in all new sheaves, all lighting and also the inside pvc conduits.The ss halyard guide at the top aka the 'Kenyon cage' was refurbished and all holes retapped. All of the exit plates were replaced, too.
This was the first real overall re-fit of the entire spar system since the boat was built in '88. Along with the new Harken furler and forestay in 2018, the whole system is pretty much reset to a much newer status.

The price would have been more if I had not worked along side the ship wright and rigger a lot of hours, too. At this age most of the original fixtures had reached end-of-life, even if still functioning - and some lighting had failed recently.

We replaced the VHF cable with a higher spec. version for less loss. The old UV-dimmed anchor light fixture was replaced with a modern combo strobe/tricolor/anchor (LED) "OGM" fitting. The idea was/is to not have to worry about this stuff for another 20 years, or more; I hope to have a more informed answer for you in 2041...
:)

Last edited:

SoloWriter

Member I
The new - double spreader, but continuous - rig totaled 3K, all built out. There is easily another 1.5 to 2K in all new sheaves, all lighting and also the inside pvc conduits.The ss halyard guide at the top aka the 'Kenyon cage' was refurbished and all holes retapped. All of the exit plates were replaced, too.
This was the first real overall re-fit of the entire spar system since the boat was built in '88. Along with the new Harken furler and forestay in 2018, the whole system is pretty much reset to a much newer status.

The price would have been more if I had not worked along side the ship wright and rigger a lot of hours, too. At this age most of the original fixtures had reached end-of-life, even if still functioning - and some had failed recently.

We replaced the VHF cable with a higher spec. version for less loss. The old UV-dimmed anchor light fixture was replaced with a modern combo strobe/tricolor/anchor (LED) "OGM" fitting. The idea was/is to not have to worry about this stuff for another 20 years, or more; I hope to have a more informed answer for you in 2041...
:)
I bet it's a wonderful feeling to watch that rig fly, and not have that creeping feeling in the back of your mind. Congrats.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
One has to ponder the meaning of “all new.” It’s sort of a sliding scale.
FWIW, I did all the shrouds and stays, and turnbuckles for about $1500 (parts and shipping only). Could have easily been twice that if I’d gone for the chain plates and the upper tangs and toggles. Next time around. And prolly the sheaves and axles too. And a custom-built crane if I wanna add a code furler at some point.

Really, it’s not a set price. It just keeps going on and on.

B.reak
O.ut
A.nother
T.housand

cawinter

Member III
Last full job was 2000 in Annapolis at Chesapeake Rigging, and we're in line now for another one (minus the mast painting) at Norwalk Cove Marina/CT. New Harken Unit 2 for good measure. I'll do a write-up when we're done...
-Chris
E34 #267 (1988) Dangriga