What's the reason for this?

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I own an Ericson 32-3 (1987) and for years now, usually when I check on or clean the bilge, I come across this plastic tray in the aft bilge at the base of the companion way ladder. Does anyone have one of these and what's its purpose? A place to hide keys? A coin holder? A candy dish? (Yuck!) An inquiring mind would like to know.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 38

Carefree Sailor

Member II
I own an Ericson 32-3 (1987) and for years now, usually when I check on or clean the bilge, I come across this plastic tray in the aft bilge at the base of the companion way ladder. Does anyone have one of these and what's its purpose? A place to hide keys? A coin holder? A candy dish? (Yuck!) An inquiring mind would like to know.

I believe it is simply a dust bin -- at least, that is how it is used on my boat.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have seen quite a few medium/high end boats with a much tighter-fitted tray that is intended to be used as a dust collector when the sole is swept into it. Then it can be removed and the detritus emptied into the waste bin or OB.
That one looks too small in dimension to do that job.
:confused:
I have spent some delivery time on a 32-3, but never thought to peek beneath the aft sole access sections.
Hopefully another owner will check in.

Guesses provided, no charge...........
:)

Loren

Glyn Judson

Pre-pre Dust buster.

Christian, We use a great little vintage Royal hand vacuum, the all metal kind. It rests on a couple of hooks in the corner of the V-berth, is a powerful little sucker ready to be used in the slip and plugged into shore power. We also have a Honda i2000eu generator allowing it to be used in locals other than on our slip. Here's one on eBay similar to ours: 281727469464 Glyn

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I believe it is simply a dust bin -- at least, that is how it is used on my boat.

I ruled out a dust bin/collector because there are two sections in it. If it were for sweeping into why would it be divided into two small compartments? Strange.

mfield

Member III
oil pan

I keep a tube of maclube and wd40 in mine. Handy and easily accessed.

The pan in my E35-3 has a small folding handle at the bottom which would not work well if you used it as a dust pan.

Ccaptain

Ccaptain
Dust Bin

I can't say what it is for, but since there is a hole in the sole it is good to be able to catch anything that finds its way to that point. I never cared for the finger hole and have put a flush mounted ring pull there with the new sole installation.

Ccaptain