What's behind and how are they attached ?

Sven

Seglare
We're about to start pulling the cables for the windlass. Joy :)

The big solenoid is not damp proof or at least the Maxwell installation instructions say that it has to be installed in a dry place and not in the anchor locker. Maybe they are talking about not putting it exposed to the chain for shorting danger so it would be ok to mount it in a good box in the chain locker ?

Anyway, we'll be pulling the cabling in the storage spaces above the v-berth. At both ends of those storage spaces there are hidden spaces, maybe 6" by 6", partitioned off with a vertical vinyl-clad wall. I don't know how well you can see it in the picture below but you've probably seen it in your own Ericson ?

Partition.jpg

There is no stanchion or other obvious deck hardware over the forward hidden spaces and I can't figure out what they are for ... why not use the bulkhead 6" further forward as surface instead of the somewhat flimsy partition ? I also can't see how they are attached. If the boat wasn't a '77 I would have guessed that they were attached with Velcro, but I don't think so.

Before I tear into them and cause more damage than needed I'm hoping someone here knows why they are where they are and how they are attached ? The 6" by 6" space might even be ideal for the windlass relay, right inside the bulkhead that separates the chain locker from the rest of the interior.

Insights ?

Thanks,

-Sven

HughHarv

Hugh
Is it the end of the fiberglass stucture that forms the storage area? From looking at my E39, it appears that these are five sided fiberglass boxes with endwalls counted as part of the five sides. Mounted so that the open fronts, which are covered by mahog. ply., face inboard.

Sven

Seglare
Hi Hugh,

Is it the end of the fiberglass stucture that forms the storage area? From looking at my E39, it appears that these are five sided fiberglass boxes with endwalls counted as part of the five sides. Mounted so that the open fronts, which are covered by mahog. ply., face inboard.

Sorry I didn't reply until now, somehow I never got notification that you'd posted. Probably a problem on our end.

Thanks for answering.

It does turn out that they are just small plywood inserts covered in vinyl, jammed into place to hide the ugliness behind them. Not even Velcro® :)

It turns out there was ugliness. The holding tank through-hull vent wasn't connected to anything, for example. The through-hull fitting is just a hole under the rub-rail leading nowhere.

We're still struggling with how to bring the windlass cables forward through the head area. Either we'll have to move the pump-out fitting or bring the cables out in the open to get them through the forward bulkhead between the head and the v-berth. Still stalling and thinking before doing anything rash.

-Sven