What would you do?

1911tex

Sustaining Member
The AC/Heater conked out on my sailboat...Dominic is the new manufacturer (old was Cruisair)...said unit was 20 years old, discontinued 14 years ago due to R-22 (freon) and parts no longer available or rare and very expensive...since 2016. They have a local service center who is going to give me an estimate on are replacement 13.5k BTU which is a drop in, smaller and more efficient. Can still use present digital panel, ducting, wiring, etc.. Also will check old wiring (important!)...110/120 dockside power. Don't know if I should just dump the idea of replacement or go forward if halfway reasonable or go the portable direction. Note: Neighbor boat just got a top rated 800 btu portable...returning it...went from 92 degrees inside to 89 in 48 hours continuous. This unit before it cratered, kept Solon temps in low to mid 70's on hot days. It was 102 degrees a few days ago..now down to 92. Our summers last until late September ...very cold (30's-40's) typically in Dec/Jan months. Remainder of months...usually really great weather. Here is photos of current unit located under starboard lazarette in salon...what would you do:
NOTE: Kiddos and grandkiddos love sailing and spending nights at marina.

Attachments

• 365F31CA-E933-4CE7-83D1-25A50B43BBE6.jpeg
    365F31CA-E933-4CE7-83D1-25A50B43BBE6.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 15
  • FD6F2B09-6A92-420B-8B6E-3A57A1F94EB9.jpeg
    FD6F2B09-6A92-420B-8B6E-3A57A1F94EB9.jpeg
    48.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

CSMcKillip

We replaced ours 9 years ago for $1500.00 as I found it in a store that no longer wanted to carry AC for boats.. They were local as well. The newer unit did draw more of a current on the breaker 15 amps if I remember - I found a company that sold the same AC breakers for 12 bucks. Let me just say its nice to come up to the boat when at dock and flip the switch to ON.... It gets hot here - we also will take our kids and have a couple camping nights at the marina every year.

william.haas

1990 Ericson 28-2
I would go with direct replacement unless it is cost prohibitive. Since you mentioned your children and grandchildren... making the boat comfortable can mean more use.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Is the issue loss of refrigerant? Being a cheapskate, what I would probably do is get hold of a can of alleged R-22 replacement and DIY it with tools from Harbor Freight. Well, it worked for my old Beemer and an old AB cold-machine, so the tools paid for themselves. If that didn't work, then I'd think about spending money.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Is the issue loss of refrigerant? Being a cheapskate, what I would probably do is get hold of a can of alleged R-22 replacement and DIY it with tools from Harbor Freight. Well, it worked for my old Beemer and an old AB cold-machine, so the tools paid for themselves. If that didn't work, then I'd think about spending money.
Toddster...the compressor died...I wish it was refrigerant !!

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Rats! I hate it when perfectly good stuff has to be thrown away for lack of parts.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Replace it with 16000 BTU unit.
When I get my 13500 BTU quote I will ask for a 16000 BTU quote. Pat...my $$ limitations are growing..my eyeballs are almost underwater now...so all depends on the quote..the old one was 13500 BTU and the vents go to main Solon (2) and forward v-berth (1) and kept all nice and cool including the head and quarter berth. The PO did a great job setting it all up 20 years ago. I guess it is still cheaper than a mountain cabin next to a lake on 100 acres that I always dreamed of...dreams only!

CSMcKillip

also, I don't see a need for a 16000 btu unit - the 12000 btu unit I have is more than enough for our 33.... most of the time I have it set on 67 and it will get the boat down to 63 at night.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Chris...good cost! How and where do you set it up? Waiting for my quote...may go this direction? Do you have a photo of the setup?

CSMcKillip

yes I do, Its setup in the V-Birth under the cushions in the forpeak. - I assume just the same as your boat.

Attachments

• iphone_photoCA9PY3AS.jpg
    iphone_photoCA9PY3AS.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 10

1911tex

Sustaining Member
I have a water tank under the v-birth..my now defunct ac is under the starboard settee in the salon. See post #1.

CSMcKillip

I have a water tank under the v-birth..my now defunct ac is under the starboard settee in the salon. See post #1.
I would go to the website and download a manual that shows the unit size - Go to the boat and make sure it will fit in the same area. I had the same unit that you have now. they were very similar in size and weight. Measure twice....lol

CSMcKillip

I have had mine now for 9-10 years and it has been fantastic. The only item I had to change was the breaker.