What type of self-tail winch?

JORGE

Member III
I have a E 32, 1971 and would like to install 2 self-tail winches near to the helm. All I currently have are 2 Barient 22's (not self-tailing) which are far from the helm. I am wondering if anyone knows the correct size of self-tailers and where they should be positioned. I am aware that the long base on which the curent winches are set can hold about a 6" base.

Mindscape

Member III
Genoa Winches

Jorge - I know Geoff replaced his genoa winches with Harken 46's. The 32-3's came with Barient 27's self tailers, you can find the spec sheet on them if you search the site. Maybe someone with a 33 from PS (the 32-200) can tell you what winches they came with, I beleve PS used Harken stuff.

SeaDog

Member II
I installed Anderson 28's just forward of the helm with access from both the forward and aft cockpit. The Andersons are extremely rugged, two speed with self tailing ... excellent units. The were purchased on ebay at 50% of the list price and were brand new.

I use the original winches for the asymetrical and roller furling. By the way, I also purchased a pair of used Barients and ran all halyards and reefing lines aft.

Kirby

JORGE

Member III
Sounnds like a beginning...I looked up the anderson 28's, the power and that particular base seems right because all I can fit on top of the winch pad platform is a max of 6", perhaps the harken 32 might work for me. I am also interested in placement on the platform and angle pad if needed)?

jmoses

Member III
Rebuild cost

When shopping for winches keep in mind rebuild periods and cost. A nice feature of Andersen winches is that have a two year rebuild interval (compared to 1 for most others) and thier kits are a bit cheaper and cover more models than most others (Lewmar, Harken, Barlow is non-exsitant, etc.).

I've had very good succes with my 4 Andersens (42 ST's and 12 ST's) on my E-35 MKII

Jmoses

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
You can't be too rich, too thin or have winches that are too big. The Harken 46's have the same base diameter as the (non self-tailing) Barients they replaced. The drum however, is considerably larger, so the line is taken up much faster (with less effort). You see the same winches on a J 109 so maybe they are a little oversized, but it's nice to be able to crank with one hand.

PS I'm not a total fool. I waited until Harken had one of its trade in sales and got them for $1,000 each (after a trade in allowance of $300 for each Barient. Where do Barients go to die?)

Last edited:

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Andersens

Jorge,
On our '75 E32 we replaced the pair of Arco 40's with Andersen 40STs a few years back. At the time they were the most bang for the buck. Bigger may be better, but we're quite happy with them. Even though both the Arco's and Andersen were supposedly 40's, the Andersen definitely was easier to crank... not to mention the obvious advantages of self-tailing. They also made single-handing much easier... they are in a tie with the furler for the most appreciated boat purchase made.
- Cory