What to look for in a E38-200?

photobug

Member II
I am going to be checking out an Ericson 38-200 for purchase when on Vacation at the end of the month. I spent a limited amount of time racing on one years ago and have owned an E32-2. This will be a brief look at while on vacation, just to see if it is worth coming back to follow up, get a survey, etc. This boat is a 1986 model It has a Universal M40 32 HP engine.

What questions should I ask the broker ahead of time?

What should I look for on inspection?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
As far as I know, there is no outstanding issue or typical problem on the 1986 E38.

As you know, expensive maintenance catch-ups include

Repainting of mast
Upholstery
Water damage from leaky portlights
Damaged cabin sole (sole is complicated on these boats)

Here are videos detailing typical jobs to bring a mid-80s E38 back to standard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7mpbcCa-u4&list=PLXJx_F6E8T8wyRWcRh4nja4H8w82d-cDT

L

Leslie Newman

I have a general list that I use when viewing any boat, regardless of model. First you want your general impression when you approach the boat. You need to keep your emotions in check. Look at the boat with a critical eye. You need to look very closely at all the systems and how clean everything is.
The broker is there for the seller, so you can't go a lot by what they say for the most part, though I have dealt with a few brokers that were really on the up and up.

If the boat is in the water then the list below can't all be examined. Main thing is you need to leave the boat knowing whether it is even worth hiring a surveyor. You don't want to waste money on one. I have surveys from previous boats I have purchased and I use those as a template to follow when I am looking for my next boat.

1. Hull. Appearance. Signs of collision? I looked at a boat once and noticed a repair to the bow, down near the water line. The repair had been done pretty good, but you could see if you looked close. This was not disclosed by the broker and I had to ask about it. Does the keel to deck joint look good? Move the rudder, is it loose. I looked at an E38 and I could shake the rudder all over the place and it was obvious the rudder bearing needed to be replaced. Any cracks in the rudder? Cutlass bearing good, does the shaft move much in it? Zinc good? How's the prop? The strut look good where it attaches to the hull, no cracks?
2. How does the engine appear. Clean? Look like the owner has been doing proper maintenance? Engine mounts. Belts condition. stuffing box (is it dripless, rusty parts, hose new looking).
3. Any deck crazing? Has the owner rebedded the deck hardware? I own a moisture meter and I use it. I know it can read incorrectly, but I have been on several surveys and worked with a couple of surveyors. They say to check the same spot on opposite sides of the deck and you start to get a feel for how the meter is reading.
4. look over the rigging, deck hardware, lines. Look at all the turn buckles and such. Just looking for general condition. Condition of the lines and such. How are the deck organizers? Spin easy? Sheaves cracked?
5. Inside the cabin you are looking for water damage, repairs to bulkheads, bulkheads pulling away from the hull and such. I looked at a 1999 Catalina 36 and could see where the bulkhead had been repaired and was due to rot from a leaking chain plate. If an owner let the chain plate leak that long ignored, I would suspect a wet deck. I walked away from that boat. Look inside cabinets. Look for leaking plumbing.
6. Look at the bilge. How dirty? Water in the bilge? How do the keel bolts/nuts look?

I guess the list can go on and on, as in depth as you want. Main thing is, if you are thinking this is THE boat, then you are trying to determine if the boat is worth spending the money for a survey.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
^^^ this is a good list.

I get to about the same place by a slightly different thought-path. My triage model is

-- structural issues? are there significant ($$) issues in hull, deck, core, internal structures, rig, evidence of water ingress, etc? unless you're looking for a project boat, those are probably deal-breakers

-- systems issues? engine, steering, electrical, potable water, etc? May be major, may be manageable, but you definitely want to know about them in order to make an informed decision

-- maintenance issues? stuff needs re-bedding, sails are old, rigging is worn out, engine is rusty, hoses are crusty, cushions need recovering, interior/exterior wood needs work, gelcoat has scuffs and stains.... These can be pretty "normal" for an older boat, but can be indicative of the quality of care the boat has received.

-- upgrades and mods? new-ish electronics, well-installed can be a plus. 1980s instruments, mounted either side of the companionway, all at different angles (I've seen it)... ugh. My OCD kicks in and starts thinking "that's a $5,000 project to undo it and do it right" Same for "remodeling" the interior to suit an esoteric use-case. If the stove has been taken out and replaced with a countertop butane burner, for example.... it can mean there are significant issues somewhere else.

-- cosmetic issues? probably should be the lowest priority in terms of deciding whether or not a boat is "the one". Unfortunately, many buyers put "oh, she's pretty" on the top of the list and forget to really notice the other things.

$.02
Bruce

Last edited:
L

Leslie Newman

Bruce, all very good. I was thinking more during lunch and remembered a biggie...at least for me. Engine and stuffing box access. And all the other systems stuff. Just how hard will it be to maintain or repair the systems? My CAL 33-2, the engine cover flipped forward and the whole engine was right there in the open. I loved it. And a hatch was removed from behind and the stuffing box was very easy to access as well.

Access regarding my E380 is pretty good, but not great. Well, the stuffing box is easy. Getting at the transmission is a little cramped. All said not bad compared to other boats I have viewed.