What the heck is a dart?

Glyn Judson

All, Every once in a while I see reference to Darts and Dart shanks. What in the Sam Hill are they and what's their purpose? I see in this link http://www.deepblueyachtsupply.com/search.aspx?q=DART that they're referred to as Swordfish darts. Surely they really aren't darts made for harpooning swordfish are they? Please tell me that in this day and age people don't deliberately go out to kill Swordfish with harpoons for the (???)fun(???) of it. Are they something used in other regions onboard a sailboat for some function that I can't even conceive of? Does my Ericson 31 need one badly? Can anyone set me straight as to what they are really used for? Thanks in advance, Glyn

Glyn,

Yep, I'm sure it's exciting. Swordfish are spooked by noise. You go out on the bow sprit and maneuver almost over the fish; push the Dart into the back of the swordfish. The dart comes loose off the shaft, and has a line attached, which goes back to the dingy that is being towed. Two people jump in the dingy, and chase the fish....
- chris

Emerald

But Glyn, they are partially bronze. Wouldn't one look grand next to the bronze and ash Wilcox Crittendon boat hook in the shrouds? You know, back in the day when E31s were used as tenders to whaling ships they had these things. How can you resist? :p

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
Tee Hee

David-
You bad!

A snowy Sunday morning here in landlocked Calgary, I definitely needed that inspired bit of comic relief.