What Makes an E-28 + ?

jreddington

Member III
I've always assumed that my boat is a basic E-28. I've heard of E-28+s on the board and the Sailnet email owners group before but have not had a reason to ask about it.

I just received my new mainsail for the boat from North Sails. Last fall, when the guy came out to measure for the sail he asked me twice whether the boat was an E-28+. I responded that it wasn't.

Picked up the sail in Milford and brought it to the boat yesterday. When I pulled it out of the bag it had the Ericson logo I ordered but had "28+" below it instead of the logo on my old sail "28".

What makes a 28 a 28+? Can it be deciphered from the hull number (ERY28588M)?. Do the sail dimensions give a clue? (I=35.5, J=12.83, P=34.75, E=11.27).

Before I get back to North I want to make sure of what I have. Maybe I've had an E-28+ all along and didn't know it.

Seems like a little detail but I want to make sure it's right. It would be a little annoyance every time I looke up for sail trim.
It's like while both Hondas and Toyotas are good cars the last thing I would want is a Toyota badge or wheel rims on a Honda.

ccorcoran

Member II
To the best of my recollection, the 28+ was produced in the 1983 to 1985 timeframe. Your serial number suggests that your 28 was built in 1985 and was the 55th hull produced. The late model E28 began production in 1986 (I used to own one # 619). All that said, I'd posit that your boat is a 28+ (which was rumored to have been created by cutting down the 30+ mold a few feet). Both the E28 and the 28+ are fractional rigs. For further clarification, check the document section of this website and compare the data on the E28 (post 1986) and the 28+ (1985 and earlier). I hope this helps.

Jewel

Member II
E28+

We have a 1984 E28+, hull # 582. Chris (hi Chris!) has steered you in the right direction. E28 boats that we made in 1985 and earlier were 28'6" LOA and are tagged with the "plus." They are also a little bit wider, the beam is 10'6" as opposed to 10'.

Dan & Julie
sv Jewel E28+:egrin:

jreddington

Member III
Thanks for the info even though it adds even more confusion since I was always told the boat was an '84, not an '85. I guess good for me in that it makes my resale value a little higher (Just theorhetical since I have no intention of selling it until they pry my dead cold hands off the wheel):egrin:.

However interpreting my hull number ERY28588M, am I correct in assuming the first two digits, 28 refers to the model, 28' or 28+? 588 would refer to the sequence number of the hull? If so, is there a listing of what hulls were made in what year? Does the final M signify anything?

Now I'm determined to get to the bottom of this mystery. I'll have to pour over some of the documentation I have on the boat. I wish I could have looked into this while she was still on the hard. It seems like it would have been easier to check the length and beam measurements by dropping plumb bobs to the ground and measuring that way rather than trying to measure off the dock while she's bobbing away.

Any hints on best way to take these measurements?

bsange

Jim,

We have a 1983 Ericson 28+, Hull 558. When we purchased it, our surveyor (who knew Ericson's) assured us it was a 28+.

According to the Ericson manual: "The first three letters "ERY" designate the manufacturer, Ericson Yauchts. The next two numbers "28" designate the model and the following three numbers are the hull number. Following the hull number is a letter which corresponds to the month of manufacture where, A=January, B=February, C=March and so forth. The first of the last three numbers is the last digit of the calender year that your boat was built and the last two numbers represent the model year".

Hope this helps. If you haven't already, you may find the manual under Specs & Documents.

Bernard Sangenito

Seth

Sustaining Partner
You do have a 28+. This design evolved from the 30+, which is a fractional rigged, inboard rudder version of the older, outboard rudder, masthead E-30. The biggest difference is the implementation in the + series of the TAFG (Tri-Axial Force Grid) to carry the rig and structural hull loads. The older boats just had hull liners.
This boat was a big seller, and at the Factory we simply took the mold and cut off the back 2 feet, shortened the rig abit and re-did the interior/engine and VOILA! The 28+!!! We now had a slightly less expensive version of a good boat for less money.

The 28+ is almost as good a sailing boat as the 30+, especially in light air. It is a bit tender, however, and to get the most from it you need to reduce sail fairly quickly as the breeze comes up.

Enjoy!

Seth

Sven

Seglare
Seth said:
You do have a 28+. This design evolved from the 30+, which is a fractional rigged, inboard rudder version of the older, outboard rudder, masthead E-30. The biggest difference is the implementation in the + series of the TAFG (Tri-Axial Force Grid) to carry the rig and structural hull loads. The older boats just had hull liners.
This boat was a big seller, and at the Factory we simply took the mold and cut off the back 2 feet, shortened the rig abit and re-did the interior/engine and VOILA! The 28+!!! We now had a slightly less expensive version of a good boat for less money.

The 28+ is almost as good a sailing boat as the 30+, especially in light air. It is a bit tender, however, and to get the most from it you need to reduce sail fairly quickly as the breeze comes up.

Enjoy!

Seth

There seem to be very few documents or pictures of the 28+. Am I just looking in all the wrong places ?

-Sven

ccorcoran

Member II
28+

Hi Sven,

Seth is right, by all accounts (from the former president and vp of Ericson -- the Kholman brothers) the 28+ was a cut down/revised 30+ that was produced from 1981 to 1985 to provide a more afforadable boat. The 30+ was dropped in 1985 in lieu of the new E28 (model year 1986) which was supposed to be the best of both worlds. I also agree that the 28+ was a bit tender; a generally good sailing boat with all the typical Ericson amenities. Personaly, I was partial to the later E28s. The difference between the two 28s can be seen in the specs; the 28+ has the same beam as the 30+ of the same era (10.6) while the E28 has a 10 ft. beam; there are other spec differences as well. There are some specs available for comparison in the EY.c document index. You might also check Pacirfic Seacraft's website and the Ericson library (sketchy, but some things are there). Good luck!

Jewel

Member II
Picture of E28+

:egrin:

This was taken in Mission Bay (San Diego).

Attachments

• Jewel in Mission Bay.bmp
    343.3 KB · Views: 284

rssailor

Rigs on E28+ and 28

Seth correct me if I am wrong, but the 28+ and the 28 both have the same rig dimentions, just different hull dimensions. If this is the case, the sail should fit fine if North measured correctly. Bend it on and try it out. If it's not right, then get the loft to make it right. Enjoy the boat, 28+ or 28. They are both great boats and lots of fun if rigged right. Ryan

Seth

Sustaining Partner
28/28+

You are correct, sir! At least as far as I can tell. I am not even sure the hull really ARE different-it may be how they are "reported" for marketing reasons, but I am not certain. The rigs should be the same, though. Good luck!