what is this pulley on the mast?

agraziano23

Member II
Hello attached is a picture of one side of the top of my E27 mast. I circled a pulley which I have no idea of what is for. there is an identical one on the other side of the mast. Can you tell me what these are for?
Thanks
Tony G.

Attachments

• topOfMastjpg.jpg
    topOfMastjpg.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 175

Emerald

It's for hangin' unruly crew from the yardarm :devil:

But seriously, those are odd. Not sure what to tell ya other than it's a Monday and I'd rather be sailing.

u079721

Contributing Partner
The only use for that cheek block that comes to mind would be to raise a "pig stick" - a short staff with a flag or burgee mounted on it, to raise it above the top of the masthead. I can't imagine why you would want one on each side though.

Last edited:

wolly bugger

Member II
i do have one of those on my E25 but only on one side. I use it for the topping lift which then run down the mast to a cleat. Hope this help.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I would guess they are for reefing lines.

oops, I meant lazy jacks.

Last edited:

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I added a similarly positioned cheek block on an E23 to keep the spinnaker halyard clear of the headsail furler. Before I did that the spinnaker halyard would get wrapped in the furler. It worked well.

Attachments

• DSCN3107.jpg
    DSCN3107.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 123

wheelerwbrian

Member III
I vote retractable lazy jacks since there are two of them. You may have some padeyes on the underside of your boom to attache the lines to and some sort of type back on the mast near the gooseneck to hold them back when retracted.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
The rivets holding it on suggest whoever mounted it didn't expect much strain on the fitting. I would guess lazy jacks too, although rivets are not great for that application, but how about a special "dress ship" halyard for running decorative signal flags? That's about all I'd use rivets for on any boat over 14'.