What is the rule of thumb for jib/genny sheets

joe-fran

Member II
Just bought a 1987 E-28 2 weeks ago. The P O had passed away 4 years ago and I bought the boat from his wife. Anyway the jib sheets were missing and she was unable to locate them. I am using the spinnaker sheets for now but I am wondering, what is the rule of thumb for the length if jib sheets for a 28 foot boat (with roller furling - if that matters)??

Joe

tenders

Innocent Bystander
1.5X LOA

This enables the lazy sheet to have some slack in it when sailing close-hauled and the working sheet is drawn in tightly. You might want to go a little bit longer if you're flying a 170 genoa.

bayhoss

Member III
I have an 1986 E28+. My jib is a 135% and my sheets are 50'-0". Gives enough slack to ease working and not so much extra to create a "rats nest".

Frank
E28+ "Valinor"

adavid

Member II
I would recommend 1 long sheet. Double it up and pass through the clew. Ends up being much better than having 2 bowlines, which get hung up on the shrouds when tacking.

windjunkee

Member III
shhet Length

I recently ordered new jib sheets. I went 70 feet or slightly more than 2 times LOA per sheet. This allows for sufficient tail on the lazy sheet when close hauled to set it for your next tack, and sufficient length to accommodate the lazy sheet when sailing on a broad reach. Hope this helps.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason, E-32-2 Hull # 134
Redondo Beach, CA