What is the largest wheel recommended for an Olson 34

markalan

Member II
My olson 34 "wing ding" came with a 36" wheel. When sitting on the cockpit combing a larger wheel would be much more comfortable to reach. Plus on a windy day, a little less operating torque. Queston how big of a wheel will allow the port lazarette to clear when opening?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We tried a 44" for a couple of years. I put the stock wheel back in place because we tired of stepping up and down to get to/from the rear of the cockpit. It was great for siting out on the combing and driving with one hand, tho,
"Everything's a compromise" as someone once said... !
:)

Last edited:

CTOlsen

Member III
We have a 42" on Loki. I was on another boat this spring (O-34) who had installed a Wichard folding wheel. It too is 42", but folds to a nice size for time when the wheel is not needed.

markalan

Member II
We tried a 44" for a couple of years. Put the stock wheel back in place because we tired of stepping up and down to get to/from the rear of the cockpit. It was great for siting outon the combing and driving with one hand, tho,
"Everything's a compromise" as someone once said... !
:)
Thanks for the reply. Have to evaluate the climb around. Keeping the admiral in mind.

markalan

Member II
We have a 42" on Loki. I was on another boat this spring (O-34) who had installed a Wichard folding wheel. It too is 42", but folds to a nice size for time when the wheel is not needed.
The folding wheel is intriguing. Never considered the option. I'll look into. Appreciate the response.

Mark David

Member II
we have been 'trying' a larger diameter wheel this summer.... anyone else notice that it seems like the larger, heavier wheel deadens the feel of the rudder?

markvone

Sustaining Member
The E36RH came with a 42 inch wheel. A PO installed a 36 inch wheel. I installed a 48 inch replacement for the 36 inch wheel. The cockpit design of the E36RH requires you to step up on the seat to access the area of the cockpit behind the wheel no matter the wheel size. The 48 inch wheel is a huge improvement over the 36 inch wheel. It's nearly the same weight but the shorter reach and extra leverage are really nice. The E36RH has a 1:1 steering ratio. The rudder swings from stop to stop in one wheel revolution so less wheel rotation moves the rudder more. However, a larger diameter wheel requires more movement at the rim for a given angle of rotation. I'm sure the wheel steered O34 has a similar high ratio. The Bruce King designed Ericsons typically have a slower steering ratio and slightly smaller standard steering wheel sizes. The slower steering ratio may not feel great with a larger diameter wheel.

Mark

markvone

Sustaining Member
Here is a picture of the 48 inch wheel. I had to raise the pedestal 3 inches to clear the cockpit seats. Reach to the wheel from anywhere in the aft cockpit is super comfortable, no stretching.

Mark

IMG_1740.JPG

markalan

Member II
we have been 'trying' a larger diameter wheel this summer.... anyone else notice that it seems like the larger, heavier wheel deadens the feel of the rudder?
I can appreciate a little less weather helm. 3 hours across the San pedro channel to Santa Catalina in 20 knots of wind with a reef in the main and other de powering adustments utilized, can still be a bit of a workout short handed at the end of the day.

markalan

Member II
The E36RH came with a 42 inch wheel. A PO installed a 36 inch wheel. I installed a 48 inch replacement for the 36 inch wheel. The cockpit design of the E36RH requires you to step up on the seat to access the area of the cockpit behind the wheel no matter the wheel size. The 48 inch wheel is a huge improvement over the 36 inch wheel. It's nearly the same weight but the shorter reach and extra leverage are really nice. The E36RH has a 1:1 steering ratio. The rudder swings from stop to stop in one wheel revolution so less wheel rotation moves the rudder more. However, a larger diameter wheel requires more movement at the rim for a given angle of rotation. I'm sure the wheel steered O34 has a similar high ratio. The Bruce King designed Ericsons typically have a slower steering ratio and slightly smaller standard steering wheel sizes. The slower steering ratio may not feel great with a larger diameter wheel.

Mark
I like the attribute of one wheel revolution stop to stop. That should make a more sensitive wheel with less operating effort.