What is normal exhaust?

NGB

Member II
My E28's Universal MK12 has water flowing out of the anti-syphon port as well as the exhaust at all attitudes, speeds, and sea conditions, i.e., whenever the engine is running. My boat yard foreman asked me if that was normal. I realized that I did not know. Is it normal, or is it an indicator of a problem?

leighton

Member I
Either the anti-siphon valve has failed, or the previous owner set it up to flow continuously: Ferenc Mate describes doing that in "The Finely Fitted Yacht". He had it set up to squirt into a cockpit drain, so that he could see at a glance whether there was water flow with the exhaust. It also guarantees that the anti-siphon line doesn't get plugged with salt crystals and fail.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It's OK, really....

The Universal diesels have a small outlet at the transom area (just above the exhaust outlet on my 1988 model boat) that should be peeing out (high falutin' engineering talk) a small stream of water all the time the engine is running. At idle it is a dribble and it's a definite stream at high RPM's.
:rolleyes:
If you look in your engine compartment you will find a plumbing Tee connection near and a little higher than the injection point on the exhaust elbow where the warmed raw water goes through. The top of this little Tee has a small reinforced hose (3/8 ?) that is routed all the back to the transom. This functions as an externally-vented siphon break when you shut 'er down.

Loren in PDX

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
On my E-34 the pee hose Loren refers to tees into the exhaust thru hull so you don't see an external stream. I think it is a more female type arrangement. :)

NGB

Member II
Loren has described my setup. The anti-syphon port is directly above the exhaust port. I have looked at the hosing arrangement aft of the engine, but not too closely. I will do that next. I appreciate the good words from all of you. I will assume things are normal but will keep my eye on them.