What happens to a junk boat?

rhbj03

Member I
This guy in my community is giving away a 35' boat. He said engine is dead, but hull is OK. I'm tempted to take it (at take a look at it) since I have unused dock space, but I don't want to get stuck with something I cannot get rid of or have to pay to get rid of, if it becomes junk.

My question is, what happens to a real old boat that is no longer functionable?

Robert

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
When rot is not an option........

We had a destructive winter storm here several years ago and a section of dock with around 20 boats was blown across the river and beaten up on a rip rap embankment.
I later met one of the boat owners, of an E-23. He said the hull was fractured and then pulled up on the shore for disposal (along with a number of others).
He got, after some legal threats, a decent $$ settlement from the marina owner. He wound up taking back his old hull (for a token $1. I presume) and methodically cutting it up with a chainsaw and putting the pieces into a rented dumpbox. Another boat, an old Cal 20, was parted out locally, and the remaining hull and deck was cut up with carbide blade saws and put.... into a dumpster.
For a 35 footer, I forsee multiple dumpsters and a lot more time and sweat. You might get some bucks out of the fittings and the lead in the keel, however.
Sorry to be of such limited "help".
:(

Loren in PDX

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Maybe your insurance company can tell you because they are the ones who usually get stuck with the wrecks. You also might be "buying" into an environmental problem.

ref_123

Member III
End of the line?...

On a slightly different note, we all have heard about "bare-hull" projects. So, it may be saleable, after all.

Regards,
Stanly

Jim Payton

Inactive Member
Occaisonally the Harbor Police in conjuction with the Coast Gaurd and the Port District in San Diego make a sweep of San Diego Bay and clean up all the derelics or abondoned boats around the Bay. When they plan on doing one of these sweeps they usually make several announcements in local papers and I think I might have seen it on a local Notice to Mariners or some sort of publication like that. What I have heard they do is to drag all the boats to an area of the bay that is isolated and beach all the boats and then run over them with a bulldozer and just break them up and put them in a dumpster. It has been a good while since I have heard about them doing this so I don't think it has been done very often.
And then I remember a photo that was posted on this web site some time back of a boat on a trailer that had been hit by a train and was just busted up and thrown away.