What does it mean to you to be an Ericson sailboat owner?

Strats43

Member I
What does it mean to you to be an Ericson sailboat owner? I hope I get alot of answers to this as I'm doing some research into ericson owners compared to other Mfg. owners

Strats

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hmmmm.....
What kind of research? Under whose auspices? What other brands are you surveying? Results published... where?
Could you expand on what you are hoping to accomplish?

Loren

:confused:

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Yeah - I would second that - your question is too vague... What is it you're trying to find out?

//sse

Being an Ericson owner means that you are (a) careful; (b) suspicious; (c) curious; (4) discerning and (5) have damnn good taste in sailboats.
Morgan Stinemetz

Strats43

Member I
actually I was vague on purpose and I wasnt trying to get anything other than trying to bring back to life the chesapeke ericson assoc and after talking to one of the former heads he had mentioned to me that ericson people are not as excited about there brand ( which I totally disagree with) as others. so sorry for the vagueness but was trying to ellicit unbiased personal thoughts.

Strats

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Chesapeake Ericsons

Oh - I see.

Well, generally, I would say that Ericson owners (like other sailors) are generally a cautious bunch - but also very friendly and open. That said, I would say that like other owners of yachts no longer in production (like the Cape Dory crowd and some others), the owners I've met are very interested in meeting others and getting to see 'some of the family' so to speak.

If you're interested in generating chatter in the Chesapeake area - start posting some messages to the 'Mid Atlantic' regional board - there are plenty of Ericsons over there - and I'm sure you could link up with someone....

Hopefully, once the election is over, all those beltway types will get back to the real business of their boats and forget all this other foolishness! :p

//sse

SAILSHIGH

Member III
Ericson Family

I just wanted to add in a few things about why I bought A Ericson. My first exposure to Ericson Yaghts was a Ericson 36 Ron Holland. I met a great lady at work who along with her hubby owned this boat called a "Ericson". I was like Never heard of it. She took offence. Especially when I told her I owned a Hunter 25 when we lived on the Chesapeake. She called Hunter the Winabego of Sailboats. I took offence and said Ericson must be the outhouse of the Sailing world then. She said well come on out and see her, it will change your mind. Wow and it sure did. That was one of the finest boats I had ever seen. I have been to boat shows from New York to Anapolis. From the sturdy construction to the roomy well planned interior she was a fine boat. Well several months and several thousands later we owned a 1975 Ericson 29. I have found the Bruce King design to be outstanding. I found that the A4, the head, the galley, and the light and shiny interior to be all that I have ever wanted in a boat(atleast till I can afford a 36' Ron Holland). I have found the owners to be all types from my type(Budweiser, Cheeseburgers and Jimmy Buffet, to Red wine and Cheese) The one tie that binds is their love for the boat that they sail. The Ericson.
I always liked the saying "God sails an Ericon, that really sums it up"

Wes Zimmerman
Grand Lake Oklahoma
E 29 "SAILS CALL":egrin:

Gary Freeburg

Member II
I have owned two Ericsons and have sailed them up and down the west coast. Now, I'm working my way into the Chesapeake with my E27. The Ericsons are good sailors and I have been happy with mine. If I had unlimited funds, I'd own a 36' or larger Morris but at this point in time, I'm having more fun than I probably should have with my little Ericson.
Gary Freeburg
SV Katmai