What does it mean to you to be an Ericson sailboat owner?

Strats43

Member I
What does it mean to you to be an Ericson sailboat owner? I hope I get alot of answers to this as I'm doing some research into ericson owners compared to other Mfg. owners

Strats

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hmmmm.....
What kind of research? Under whose auspices? What other brands are you surveying? Results published... where?
Could you expand on what you are hoping to accomplish?

Loren

:confused:

Last edited:

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Yeah - I would second that - your question is too vague... What is it you're trying to find out?

//sse

Strats43

Member I
actually I was vague on purpose and I wasnt trying to get anything other than trying to bring back to life the chesapeke ericson assoc and after talking to one of the former heads he had mentioned to me that ericson people are not as excited about there brand ( which I totally disagree with) as others. so sorry for the vagueness but was trying to ellicit unbiased personal thoughts.

Strats

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Chesapeake Ericsons

Oh - I see.

Well, generally, I would say that Ericson owners (like other sailors) are generally a cautious bunch - but also very friendly and open. That said, I would say that like other owners of yachts no longer in production (like the Cape Dory crowd and some others), the owners I've met are very interested in meeting others and getting to see 'some of the family' so to speak.

If you're interested in generating chatter in the Chesapeake area - start posting some messages to the 'Mid Atlantic' regional board - there are plenty of Ericsons over there - and I'm sure you could link up with someone....

Hopefully, once this election cycle goes past, all those beltway types will get back to the real business of their boats for forget all this other foolishness! :p

//sse

Steve Swann

Member III
A young man's dream fulfilled

Sometimes a sailor just sees a boat that takes you away - your breath, your mind, your money - everything. It can happen to anybody and has nothing to do with your age. Ericsons did this to me when I was a starving college student. I saw my first Ericson 25 in Scottsdale, AZ at a dealership. It was sooo perfect! Breathtaking and absolutely beautiful! The size, fit, finish, and ouch, the pricetag, left an indelible impression. Oh, how I wanted one! I had always thought that if I could ever own an Ericson, my life would be just about perfect. That feeling has never waned. Now, 30 years later, I was wandering around the Internet and had that first jolt of love all over again. I found an original owner's widow selling theirs in Florida with lots of extra options and "stuff." All those old feelings resurfaced and within a week (after the survey) I finally had my Ericson. Not a big one, mind you - but an Ericson nonetheless. Call me a romantic, a throw-back, or whatever. I'm proud to now be part of the Ericson legacy.

I love hearing that these older proven boats can still put out a bit of whup-ass on newer designs on the water. The old girls can still get the job done - any size - anywhere. Fast boats are fun. Thank you Mr. King!

Fencer21

Member II
What does it mean to be an Ericson Sailboat owner?

I bought my Ericson 27' last year in August. After taking a year to "learn the ropes" I put her up on stands at a boat yard to get a bottom job and some refit/upgrades completed. Now I'm getting ready to launch in 9 days. This was a very expensive project but it'll be worth it in the long run. Definatley!

This E27 is a 30 year boat, and in some cases she was showing her age. I think Patrick O'Brian's character Jack Aubrey in the movie "Master and Commander" sums it up quite nicely:

"She's a fine seabird. Her lines are lovely; she's stiff, weatherly and fast, very fast when handled properly. No, she's not old, she's in her prime."

That's what I think it means to be an Ericson sailboat owner.

and by the way, I'll be posting some pix here soon showing some of the refit and repair process.

ccorcoran

Member II
Well said!

Well said, all! Ericson yachts are unique; they are graceful, elegant and as fast as any crew can sail 'em. Our 1987 E34 is the fourth Ericson I've owned -- including a 1986 E-28 (new), 1986 E-38 (new), a 1984 E-33 (Holland design) and our current E-34. Whenever I consider buying a new boat, the first consideration is an Ericson. Yes, like any production sailboat, there are always problems; the true measure of a good boat is how she ages and, in my experience, Ericsons age well. Yes, there are faster boats; yes, there are "prettier" boats; yes, there are boats that seem perfect in every way (until you own them!). I have yet to find a sail boat that does more in all regards than an Ericson; ours is 17 years old and she still turns heads. I know when I "go down to the sea" I'm in a solid boat that's pretty and better-built than any other production boat of the era; a boat that stands ready to please. Moreover, I've discovered that there are a great many people that think and feel as I do...and they own Ericsons. We're an intersting lot and we share a common passion, sailing as quickly and safely as possible under any and all conditions.

Dave Hussey

Member III
What does it mean to be an Ericson Owner

Hey Fencer21, what a coincidence,
I bought my E27 about the same time you did this year :) Mine is a 1976 model with hull number 954. To me, being an Ericson owner, well, the "newness" hasn't worn off yet, so the emotions are complicated. How does one differentiate which feelings are specific to the brand, from those that come from just being on the water under sail again :confused: There are tears of joy when I'm at the tiller on a reach, and all is right with the world....but then there are the tears of panic, when attempting to put her to rest in her slip, the wind abeam and no meneuvering room... but then again, she's got a sweet sheer and broad hips...what's not to love? When I try to be objective, I realize there are those leaking windows, the boom is bent and the head won't flush. But wet, bent and smelly, I love her just the same.
respectfully submitted by Dave Hussey, owner of BLUEWING

Strats43

Member I
Thanks to all!

Special thanks to all that posted! My 30-1 is my first boat Ive owned, and for those that know she got pretty banged up in Isabel but as soon as I saw her although beat up I fell in love! Walking on the sound deck and sitting in the cockpit I felt like a teenager, falling in love for the first time. As Im hoping to get her running this year, I know this will be a lifetime love affair.

Strats

Art Mullinax

Member III
Thanks Mr. King

I too am a proud ericson owner. Issaqueena (named after a Choctaw indian princess) is a 71 E29. Just like me, she's starting to show her age a little more than last year but still turns an eye under sail. This is my second Ericson (74 E25). When I started looking for a bigger boat, I didn't really consider any other MFG.
My wife thinks I should re-name her "The other woman". She doesn't demand a lot of me. She's always ready to show me a good time. Never complains if I screw up. She has a cute turned up bow and a broad beam. She doesn't mind if I ignore her for a while and never has a headache. Should a grown man feel this way about a boat???? :)
Opp's, Boy did I get off on a tangent. The reason I like the Ericsons is they are built tough, Look good on the water and aren't just another price boat...
Art M,,,

Last edited:

CaptDan

Member III
Strats43 said:
Special thanks to all that posted! My 30-1 is my first boat Ive owned, and for those that know she got pretty banged up in Isabel but as soon as I saw her although beat up I fell in love! Walking on the sound deck and sitting in the cockpit I felt like a teenager, falling in love for the first time. As Im hoping to get her running this year, I know this will be a lifetime love affair.

Strats

How can I top the lucid, articulate responses above? Well - I'll try:

My first boat was a woodie, a fine vessel, but demanding. It was 70% maintanence, 30% sailing. Fine at the beginning, VERY wearing towards the end. In the first four months of ownership, boat's mast unstepped, varnish dull, wood in need of repair, I'd go sailing on a dock mate's E29. I was impressed with the boat's solid feel in tough Bay breezes. So, the Ericson 'bug' was planted long ago.

As the years went on, my eye was drawn more and more to the graceful lines of the E35II. I thought if I ever DID go fiberglass, this would be top of my list. And so it happened one day when my wife - who'd put in hundreds of hours helping me maintain the woodie - said:

"We'll always own a sailboat...but it WON'T necessarily be wood!"

Three weeks later the woodie was sold, a week later I made an offer on an E35II. That was in September of 2000. The love affair continues - but with FAR less work, and MUCH more sailing. :)

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

mark reed

Member III
Owning an e38 means being able to safely handle rough ocean conditions or ghost along on almost no wind, pass most boats you see, and maneuver easily in almost any situation, while enjoying comfortable attractive accomodations but not having to do too much upkeep. It means having an extremely versatile, well-designed yacht for a smaller initial investment than most comparable boats would require. And of course, it means enjoying the camaraderie of those who share your taste in boats! :egrin: