What are the hooks used for?

delwarne

Member II
On our 87 35-3 there ae 2 hooks directly aft of the furler. What are they used for?

Del Warne
Obligatto
35-3

u079721

Contributing Partner
My understanding is that they are attachment hooks for the tack of headsails, for back before we all used furlers. (Though I'm not sure why there are two of them.)

Attachments

• Anchoring%20tip.jpg
    Anchoring%20tip.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 51
tack hooks

I have 2 "inverted J" hooks mounted on the stem fitting just aft of the headstay tang. I think they are tack hooks for hank-on headsails - needed if you did not have RF.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yup. Tack hooks for headsails either hanked on or hoisted on a foil.

Two hooks.... because you might want to set up a larger or smaller jib to hoist before lowering the one already flying.
Missing from this picture would be the shock cord loop seized to the turnbuckle just above the tack hooks. You stretch the cord down around the hook to hold the tack grommet on -- thus keeping it secured until you hoist, or attached after the drop.

The performance of these 80's Ericsons was good enough that I am sure that a percentage of new owners ordered them up without furlers just for full-crew club racing. ;)

Altho our Olson originally had both hooks welded on just the same... one was ground off to make room for an anchor roller. That was done by the first owner who still kept the head foil, altho there is no sign that the boat was ever formally raced. We added a Harken furler right after acquiring the boat.

Apropos of whatever, I was out looking at the spar off an E-32-3 getting a re-rig in the yard the other day, and found that it has the *same* masthead wing halyard set up as our Olson. Same SS polished cage and all.
(Someone at the Ericson factory went to the trouble to keep these boat oriented toward competition even while the advertising was focusing more on the luxury interiors in the mid-late 80's.)
:egrin:

Loren

Last edited: