What’s wrong with this picture?

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
So frustrating isn’t it? A basic job and the yard screws it up. 5 extra minutes to locate the right length bolts and some fender washers…
.. and disappointing. Makes you wonder what other shortcuts were taken on the rest of the project.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
One of the reasons I research how I need to do something on my boat and then, if it’s in my set of skills, do the work myself. I think you need to call that rigger back for a redo and then when he’s done never call on him again. Something improperly rigged on a sailboat that comes under a load can cause damage, injury or worse if not do properly.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Gentle comments. To me, that's total failure. I would feel obliged to communicate that to him.

Just lazy. Didn't bother to obtain bolts long enough and fender washers that fit the bolts (his kit probably had near matches but not quite, and he didn't want to drive to a hardware store).

Gaviate

Member III
I think you need to call that rigger back for a redo
AGREED! Perhaps you can contribute to your rigger's education. Use of a proper fastener is prerequisite to achieving a proper job....basic hardware store knowledge I would think.
Not sure what I'll do in my retirement years....apparently I'm overqualified to be a rigger?!

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
While working on boats this weekend, it was said by several passer-bye boat owners, "if you have it done, they will likely do the same job but worse". While I don't want to believe that for the jobs I can't do, re-bedding portlights and stanchions are not fun but definetly worth my time to do.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
While working on boats this weekend, it was said by several passer-bye boat owners, "if you have it done, they will likely do the same job but worse". While I don't want to believe that for the jobs I can't do, re-bedding portlights and stanchions are not fun but definetly worth my time to do.
This was something I certainly would do but it was part of an overall rigging replacement project which included replacing the furler. It made sense for them to install the lead-in block because the correct operation/ setup of the furler is their responsibility. Knowing what I know now , I would do things much differently.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
AGREED! Perhaps you can contribute to your rigger's education. Use of a proper fastener is prerequisite to achieving a proper job....basic hardware store knowledge I would think.
Not sure what I'll do in my retirement years....apparently I'm overqualified to be a rigger?!
Early this year my mast was pulled and had all of the standing rigging, hardware, halyards, you name it was replaced. It was well overdue and after some of the winds I was sailing in on the bay this year it was well worth it at least for the peace of mind. The riggers for the most part did a fine job but I still called them back at least four times to fix little bothersome issues that I didn't think were done right or didn't look right to me. When a so called "pro" does a job, on your boat, house, car, whatever...if something doesn't look right, even if it is, you should call them on it at least for your self-education and at most because something may not be done right and it was either over looked to the rigger who had just broken up with his girl/boy friend the night before and was in a foul mood when he or she worked on your boat. You're paying the freight on it and you have that right. Don't be timid because you think that they know better.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
This entire thread is a great reminder of why we need more DIY yards. I know that environmental regulations, liability costs, property value etc are all factors, but if someone could figure all that out there would be a lot of happy boaters. We’re lucky to have a few DIY yards in town, I would hate to turn all the work I have done over to full service yard.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I agree 100% with everything on here. Unfortunately it mirrors most of my limited experience having "professionals" work on my boat. My strut replacement project was a pleasant exception, but I was heavily involved.

One thing I've noticed is the discrepancy between good owners and the staff they are able to employ. It's difficult to find good people, pay them appropriately, charge a reasonable amount, and keep a business above water. I've frequently seen well intentioned owners trust projects to employees who have no clue what they're doing and the owners don't have the time to follow up on everything going on. There's not excuse for this work, but it might help frame a conversation with the yard you're working with. Hopefully the owner can take it as a learning opportunity for themselves and their staff.

If the owner did the work themselves or knowingly let this go out the door, then that's a whole different conversation.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
I agree 100% with everything on here. Unfortunately it mirrors most of my limited experience having "professionals" work on my boat. My strut replacement project was a pleasant exception, but I was heavily involved.

One thing I've noticed is the discrepancy between good owners and the staff they are able to employ. It's difficult to find good people, pay them appropriately, charge a reasonable amount, and keep a business above water. I've frequently seen well intentioned owners trust projects to employees who have no clue what they're doing and the owners don't have the time to follow up on everything going on. There's not excuse for this work, but it might help frame a conversation with the yard you're working with. Hopefully the owner can take it as a learning opportunity for themselves and their staff.

If the owner did the work themselves or knowingly let this go out the door, then that's a whole different

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Most of us here are naturally interested in every detail of what a yard does, which when applied goes a long way, or at least some way, in assuring if not success, than fewer surprises. It literally pays to be interested.

That however didn't stop my own issue with a bad installation of a seacock by a good yard, followed by failure of the seacock, followed by ambiguity on the part of both yard and PSS dripless, followed by splitting costs of repair, followed by a shrug on my part.

We need to pay hard attention, but it is also true that old boats, and new ones too, are a challenge for everybody, and do and re-do is a natural consequence. Tally Ho and any aircraft carrier have the same problems we do, and solutions often come only after multiple tries.

People are always asking me why I seem to spend so much time maintaining a sailboat, with issues seemingly constant. The best answer I have found is, "a sailboat is not a car."