Wet sanding gel coat

pmarsha3

Member II
Redmax Pro

I used Redmax Pro. It is supplied by Zep and is available at Lowe's. Google Redmax pro for details.

20161024_110848.jpg

julibell

Member II
Paint necessary - - Beyond wet sanding - have blisters and crazing

My 1974 Ericson had been sitting for a few years under shrink-wrap before I bought her a few years ago. Its starting to show more and more osmotic blistering and some crazing in the hull above the waterline. I believe I need to start sanding out the blisters with 80 grit, then fill them, move up to finer sanding, then primer, sand then paint.

A few mentioned products are the Interlux 1 part paints, a one part Awlcraft by the Allgrip company or a one part paint from Euphonies. All of which can be rolled and tipped when the weather is cooperating.

Any suggestions, words of caution or ideas on how many weekends of work it will take to do this on my 29 footer.

Thanks

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Final result on hull polishing

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_32.jpg

Well, In the end the company I hired to wet sand the hull (their original recommendation) didn't. Instead they did a through compound, wax and polish job which turned out great. It seems that the job manager who looked at the hull recommended wet sanding but when it came down to it the guy who actually DOES the work said "we didn't have to go that far" and he was right. So I'm happy, my check book is happy and most important the "admiral" (a.k.a - wife) is happy. I applied a new set of graphics to the boat, putting the name on the side and the Ericsson logo on the stern.

Grizz

Grizz
3M Imperial and NuFinish

The 12+ month survey results are in, the lingering question was "will the NuFinsh applied spring of 2016 conflict with buffing with 3M Imperial this spring?".

The answer is an emphatic 'no!'. Buffing felt and behaved no different than in year's past and passes the 10' test, the 20' test and the 40' test. The logo remains vibrant 7 years later and offsets the hull shine.

Next up: below waterline, which has already been wet-sanded. A full wipe, tape of the waterline and the VC-17 can be rolled on.

Splash '17 targeted for Thursday May 11, mast step Saturday May 13. 1 Month and counting! :)

buffed and polished 4-13-2017.JPG