We're considering an Ericson 38 as our next boat.

Frers 33

Am I correct that the Pacific Seacraft versions started around 1990? Were they all 5' 3" draft with a bulb? Any other comments from owners welcome, as well as things to look for or to avoid. Thanks in advance.

Gary Peterson

Marine Guy
I am not sure about the newer (~1990) PSC models but I have a 1983 381 at Ford Yacht Club that you can inspect for construction details and to see how well they are built. Mine has a 5 foot draft with an additional MARs keel bulb attached.
There is also a 1988 38-200 in the club you can see. We are all out of the water and winterized.
Gary Peterson
QUIXOTIC 381
:egrin:

Last edited:

bigtyme805

Member III
What year Ericson 38 are you considering? I believe that 1990 was the first year that they started producing the PSC/Ericson line.

Frers 33

We haven't picked a specific year. We are leaning towards...

...the 5 foot 3 inch draft, and my preference would be for the Yanmar diesel. Gary, thanks for your offer to check out your boat. When are you around, or how can I get in touch? My e-mail is netcrap AT comcast DOT net Our current boat is at NCYC - Toledo Beach.

tdtrimmer

Member II
E38

We have owned our 1981 E38 for 10 years and cruise the North Channel for a month during the summer and think it is a terrific boat. There are different things to look for depending on the model and year you are considering. Generally, the boat has very solid construction, performs well as both a racer and a cruiser, and is pretty comfortable.

The brochure I have for the later model 380 indicates that the boat was available in both a 5'3" draft and a 6'6" draft version.

Tom
S/V Mistress

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Am I correct that the Pacific Seacraft versions started around 1990? Were they all 5' 3" draft with a bulb? Any other comments from owners welcome, as well as things to look for or to avoid. Thanks in advance.

Not an E-38 owner, but just a lurker... I seem to remember that the production of the three designs that PSC was picking up was shifted over the course of several months, maybe longer.
By late '90 (best guess) the 32-200, 34, and 38-200 were all at PSC. After that PSC started making interior material and parts changes to reflect their choice of ports, engines, veneer, etc.
Their brochures stated that some choice of keels was available, especially a wing or bulb.
Perhaps a former employee will check in and correct my impressions...
:confused:

Loren

Last edited:

noproblemo2

Member III
E-38

As an original "former" as of 2 months ago" owner of an E-38 1981 there is no better boat to consider, they were very well built, comfortably designed, and ready to sail. We had the 6'6" keel, which was perfect for both our racing and cruising years. Just my 2 cents worth.:egrin::)

Peregrine

Member II
I have a 1994 PSC 380 with 5'3" draft and a wing keel. I believe the only version of the 38 that PSC made was the 380. They may not have started production until 1991 as I believe Ericson went out of business in 1990. Mine is hull number 16 . Don Kohlmann told me that he believed they built around23 at PSC.

Spirit Moon

Member II
We have owned a 1980 E38 since last Feb. The vessel had undergone a 2 year complete refit [awlgrip painted, new rigging, sails, leisure furl, all wiring was replaced, new instruments, battery sytem, new engine, sail drive, corian counter tops, Glacier Bay fridge, Spectra water maker, freezer, etc etc.] We paid a bit of a premium price but got a very sweet design, great interior my wife loves and the boat sails in any weather well. I can't count the number of compliments we get at the docks or at anchor. We sail year round, winter is the best kept secret in the PNW. I found she like to settle on her hip early but then digs in and is very stable. If the seas are not really that choppy we routinely have full sails out at 20kts. At first because of the hull design and that she will set on her hip early I took it as a need to reef at around 13-15 kts. Experience with the boat and a full month long cruise no longer has us in reef mode until we get around 20 kts. My previous boat was a catalina 30. It was a great boat as far as I'm concerned but we wanted more room and a good offshore / coastal boat. I've sailed offshore on friends boats and between our 30 ft and their boats, gathered a good idea of what I really wanted. I spent two years looking for the right boat and the right price. Our Ericson ended up being the right choice and one we have no regrets over. I've been to the boat shows and quite frankly I'm now just disinterested in the latest high freeboard condo designs. The only thing I want to see at a boat show now is good deals on gear. Like any used boat you need to weigh realistically how much you can spend to not only buy the boat but fit her out the way you know you are really going to. Self denial that you aren't going to cruise chanderlies every free minute you have is of no use. (resistance is futile) Ericsons were well ahead of their time and are worth investing in.

e38 owner

Member III
e 38 / frers

I have had an E38 since 1981. We have the 6'6" version. It is my understanding the deep keep is more stable and points higher than the other keels. Our slip nieghbor has frers 33 that he used to have in Chicago. Our deep draft version rates about the same, a little slower, but performance wise we can sail a point with them.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
My wife and I love our E38. Sometimes its more boat than we need or want to pay for however the boat itself is not lacking in any significant way. Its a great boat any way you look at it. RT

Alex

We love our 1981 E38. Sails great, lots of room, looks good. Universal Diesel has been great. Very comfortable boat, that is lots of fun to sail. that's my two cents.

Royal Wave

We have a 1986 38-200. We have the 6'6" keel and engine under the sink. Livaboard most weekends with wife and dog. I'm 6'4" tall and love the headroom of the 38 as well as the length of the beds. Great club racer.

Jeff Sedlack
Royal Wave
1986 38-200

Charles

My wife and I went through 3 Ericsons (1980 30+, 1982 E38, and 1987 E38-200 # 234). We had the two 38s a total of 10 years. The 1982 is our favorite (#64). I would have bought another older one instead of the 1987 but the bank liked the fact that it was only 12 years old at the time.

The traditional interior is more comfortable, there are two freezers, a little bit larger head/shower combo, a larger nav station, more comfortable seating in the main salon, and the V berths are the same size. The '87 has a much larger quarter berth, as that was becoming a dicriminator in the late 80's. The early E-38 also has locations for two propane bottles. The anchor lockers are the same size. The early boat carried water in a 60 gallon bow tank and 20 gallon starboard sette tank, while the later boat has a thrid water tank astern, so tops out at 105 gallons. The early boat held 60 gallons of fuel, the later Ericson (-200 series) held 54 gallons. One year, 1986, the -200 had the engine under the sink in the salon, whereas in 1987, it was moved under the companionway as the early design did.

Next time, when we retire, we plan to pay cash for a 1980-1985 vintage E-38.

Charlie

vbenn

Member III
Psc 380

Mine is a 1997 PSC 380, Hull # 22. I have read about Hull #26, but not sure if they were produced after '97.

Vince Benn
Wild Blue

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
E38 highly recommended

We're in the middle of several years of "sailing while restoring" our 1980 E38. We bought it in 2003 (she was Hawkeye then) and after all the chartering and racing, then the casual and serious looking we had done, we fell in love with it as soon as we saw it (despite the fact that I'm a Boilermaker).

We've been very happy with the sailing and handling qualities and the interior has proven to be as comfortable as it looked when we first saw it. It is very original inside and works great for us. We have the 6' 6" fin keel and the port-forward head and shower. The Universal diesel is in great shape.

If you go with an older Ericson, with a price at the high end, you may have to find a knowledgeable marine lending institution. We had a couple 'normal' lenders shy away from the age-price range we were buying. Fortunately, we found a good marine lending department at a local bank - they knew Ericsons - and we easily got a great loan from them.

Good luck with your decision and search!

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
We have an '89 E-38 with the 6'6" draft PHRF 120, Frers 33 here are 114 I believe and we regularly beat them scratch by a decent margin with cruising sails. Not bashing the 33 just giving more accolades for the 38. Have owned the boat for 3 years and absolutely love it for racing and cruising. Not familiar with how the other keels perform but the deep fin goes to weather like a scalded cat!

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
nice.......i continue my search for the rigt e38-200...a great "hunk of fiberglass".. ;-) :egrin: prices seem to be gettin' better & better...as o'bummer economic policy kicks in.....lets see in a year or so where boat re sale values are....interesting.....cheers all !!!

We have owned a 1980 E38 since last Feb. The vessel had undergone a 2 year complete refit [awlgrip painted, new rigging, sails, leisure furl, all wiring was replaced, new instruments, battery sytem, new engine, sail drive, corian counter tops, Glacier Bay fridge, Spectra water maker, freezer, etc etc.] We paid a bit of a premium price but got a very sweet design, great interior my wife loves and the boat sails in any weather well. I can't count the number of compliments we get at the docks or at anchor. We sail year round, winter is the best kept secret in the PNW. I found she like to settle on her hip early but then digs in and is very stable. If the seas are not really that choppy we routinely have full sails out at 20kts. At first because of the hull design and that she will set on her hip early I took it as a need to reef at around 13-15 kts. Experience with the boat and a full month long cruise no longer has us in reef mode until we get around 20 kts. My previous boat was a catalina 30. It was a great boat as far as I'm concerned but we wanted more room and a good offshore / coastal boat. I've sailed offshore on friends boats and between our 30 ft and their boats, gathered a good idea of what I really wanted. I spent two years looking for the right boat and the right price. Our Ericson ended up being the right choice and one we have no regrets over. I've been to the boat shows and quite frankly I'm now just disinterested in the latest high freeboard condo designs. The only thing I want to see at a boat show now is good deals on gear. Like any used boat you need to weigh realistically how much you can spend to not only buy the boat but fit her out the way you know you are really going to. Self denial that you aren't going to cruise chanderlies every free minute you have is of no use. (resistance is futile) Ericsons were well ahead of their time and are worth investing in.