Wednesday July 12 - cross to Avalon

Mikebat

Member III
I visited Avalon for the first time last week. I sailed out by myself on Wednesday the 12th, and it was the best sail ever. First time I've crossed the channel by myself, too. Valinor was on rails. I hardly had to touch the wheel, but for the occasional persistent lift or header. Hull speed the whole way. I don't have my wind instrument mounted yet, but I'd guess it was 15 kts. What a great day!

My nephews came out to the island the next morning by ferry and we had a great time until Saturday, when we motored back. No wind at all, it was glass. I had a mooring in Descanso bay the whole time. I had an opportunity to move inside, but the odds were high that I'd be kicked out by an owner on Friday, so I stayed where I was. Friday night we had a great breeze blowing off the island, I guess it was like a chubasco in the Gulf of California. They shut down the shore boat service, it was blowing so hard. But I was snug on the mooring and the breeze was really refreshing.

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
Nice, the 1st trip is always interesting...careful of the winds...every once and a while they get hectic over ther....:egrin:

Mikebat said:
I visited Avalon for the first time last week. I sailed out by myself on Wednesday the 12th, and it was the best sail ever. First time I've crossed the channel by myself, too. Valinor was on rails. I hardly had to touch the wheel, but for the occasional persistent lift or header. Hull speed the whole way. I don't have my wind instrument mounted yet, but I'd guess it was 15 kts. What a great day!

My nephews came out to the island the next morning by ferry and we had a great time until Saturday, when we motored back. No wind at all, it was glass. I had a mooring in Descanso bay the whole time. I had an opportunity to move inside, but the odds were high that I'd be kicked out by an owner on Friday, so I stayed where I was. Friday night we had a great breeze blowing off the island, I guess it was like a chubasco in the Gulf of California. They shut down the shore boat service, it was blowing so hard. But I was snug on the mooring and the breeze was really refreshing.