Way Cool Sailing Video

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwuGtfVM4Pg

I just took a look at the updated web site for the Yaquina Bay Yacht Club.
http://www.yaquinabayyachtclub.org/index.html
There is a nice video link there for sailing on the Bay with their YC group.
That E-29 in the video looks familiar, Ken!

This is one of the best short videos I have ever seen for making sailing really look like FUN.

Sidebar/trivia -- That nice YBYC clubhouse was built with help from a friend of mine that used to run construction projects in our club, RCYC.
I crewed with Larry when he took his Catalina 30 down the coast to Newport after he built his retirement home there. It is a small world at times...

Cheers,
Loren
:egrin:

tyrguy

Member II
great video

Yep, thats me, sure makes me look like a great sailor.
It was shot by one of our club members who was planning on producing a tv show about the Oregon coast, he made all of Hunter's promo videos for several years.
It was on one of our Wednesday night races and has some great shots of our great little bay and our mix of boats, the J24 in the lead is my wife on "Cheap Sunglasses" she has been the overall winner the last 3 years so this next year everyone is out to get her, she's good and very competitive so they've got a tough battle. I raced the 29 last year but really didn't try to hard, more of a reason to go out sailing with my buddies and enjoy some adult beverages. Did learn a lot about the boat though.
It will be interesting this next year with the addition of the NOAA fleet being headquartered here they are busy building about 600 ft of dock that will change some of the tactic's.
Larry is still active in the club between golf and zipping around in his sportscar, he sold the Catalina to a couple that use it as a dock condo and haven't sailed it much. It sits across the dock from our E-29.

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Don't think it was for the instructional value! If anyone knows where to find her I have a boat... and bread!:egrin:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Great video indeed! (It's been on the 'net for over a year, but it's worth seeing again and again.)

Just think... thanks to the persistence of digital media her children/grandchildren will be watching this someday in amazement and realize just how "cool" she is!
:cool:
I can only hope she and her S.O. keep right on sailing until they grow old, and that that they never grow up.
:egrin:

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
That's a remarkable flick Mark. I have not watched it all yet, but talk about sailing econo! My favorite segment's were the mast stepping and their anchoring techniques. Many anchors, very little chain and a few bricks. And the skipper hates his perfectly good Yanmar diesel and refuses to work on it or even run it. Tree hugging Punk Rock sailors for sure! Sail on "Pestilence"! :esad:

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Jeff

The term tree “hugging” really brings back memories. Two years ago pulling in to a slip at Mobile Yacht Club Marina, I used the phrase "hug a tree" to my first mate (also my girl friend)on the race crew.

We had one work commands for every function and had practiced sail changes and reefing with one work commands for each step in the processes.
I am entering the slip with a strong breeze from port and a boat worth more than my house to starboard, as we entered the slip there was a piling that stood about four feet higher than the small walkboards on the dock. I yelled to Ce to hug a tree meaning grab the piling, she turned gave me the look of death it’s self and replied “that is not a &#@%ing command” and went below. I will never live this down or stop hearing about it as long as I live. The only other that is close in the reruns of lifes should be forgotten moments was when I stepped off the seawall at low tide onto the boat at Dauphin Island carrying a candy bar and our just presented third place trophy, took two steps and turned to see that same look. I had not helped my lady make the transition from the seawall down to the boat while other men were watching, she didn’t need help, I was to be a gentleman and failed.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Not to take anything away from the adventurous spirit of the crew of Pestilence, but he leaves out the whole story of the cost of this excursion. They clearly had some financial backing from somewhere. How much did they pay for the engine? How much to leave the boat on the hard in Grand Bahama for a year? How much in airfare to fly back and forth from Grand Bahama and the Dominican Republic?

Kind of reminds me of the kids that used to come into Manhattan on the weekends and panhandle on the streets like they were homeless then go back to their parents homes in Westchester and Connecticut...

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Skipper Moxie Marlinspike

Well if your really interested in some of the unanswered questions to their story you can contact Skipper Moxie Marlinspike. He shows his e-mail address at the end of the video. moxie@thoughtcrime.org

Here's the link to his page on the Vimeo.com site: http://vimeo.com/user4773372 I got a PM from someone who pointed out that there was some admission of stealing in the video. I don't remember exactly which part they we're referring to, but I do remember them breaking into the unlocked cabin cruiser to make breakfast and also using that boat's dinghy hoist to step the mast.

I think it's still a amazing story about having that kind of an adventure with very little resources.

I guess this Guy's a computer hacker and a sailor. Here's statement from his About page on his site. Note he states he has his USCG Master Mariner’s license:

One part sailor, one part hacker, one part pyrotechnician.

"In my hacker life I am interested in systems programming, high performance server architecture, and computer security. The research that I publish tends to deal with secure protocols, particularly SSL/TLS as of late. I currently do security consulting and penetration testing, and additionally offer trainings on designing secure protocols."

"In my sailing life I have a USCG Master Mariner’s license, and do yacht deliveries world wide. I am also personally interested in sailing without engines, and draw great inspiration from the likes of Moitessier as well as the entire 1969 Golden Globe crew."

Here's his web site link: http://www.thoughtcrime.org

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hey Jeff,

I like that video a lot. Theirs is a very different approach to sailing than mine but it's cool to see another interpretation. The narration by Moxie Marlinspike is well done.

The stealing part was probably the comment about taking plywood from a construction site.

Sorry for the hijack Loren :).

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Yeah, indeed sorry for the hijack Loren.

Although out of the three discussed here the "French Toast" would have to take the Oscar! :devil: