Water tightness question for rubrails

rgraham

Member II
Hello All,
I put 2" - 2" TEAK Rubrails on my 36 RH and used 3 inch screws with 5300 on them through the glassed interior hull/deck joint. Some have failed to stay water tight. I rounded off both edges of a 2 by 2 and dadoed a groove in the back to go over the hull/deck joint flange then bored holes into it along the centerline of it and ran the screws into the hull (they were more or less self taping) I gooped each one up with 5300 as I ran it in with a screw gun. I also put a ton of 5300 in the dadoed groove before placing it on the joint. It amazes me how water can find its way in through the smallest of openings. So I think I'm going to replace these with machine screws with nuts and washers on the inside of the hull and I was wondering is there a method that will insure water tightness?

Thanks in advance,
Robert

Last edited:

HughHarv

Hugh
Hello All,
I put 2" - 2" TEAK Rubrails on my 36 RH and used 3 inch screws with 5300 on them through the glassed interior hull/deck joint. Some have failed to stay water tight. I rounded off both edges of a 2 by 2 and dadoed a groove in the back to go over the hull/deck joint flange then bored holes into it along the centerline of it and ran the screws into the hull (they were more or less self taping) I gooped each one up with 5300 as I ran it in with a screw gun. I also put a ton of 5300 in the dadoed groove before placing it on the joint. It amazes me how water can find its way in through the smallest of openings. So I think I'm going to replace these with machine screws with nuts and washers on the inside of the hull and I was wondering is there a method that will insure water tightness?

Thanks in advance,
Robert

Is the rubrail pulled up tight to the hull? I've spun a few screws too hard with a screw gun and ate up the fiberglass threads. Once the screws lost thier grip on the glass, I had to resort to bolts, washers and nuts? I'd use a screw driver to check and see if the screws are still tight and the rubrail is pulled up snug to the hull, especially where the screws leak?