Water tank sanitization, any advice?

mggilmore

Member II
Hello all,
I need some advice on how to sanitize my water tanks. I'm getting a foul sulfur like odor this year that I want to get rid of.
Thanks
Mike:confused:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I use a 10% bleach solution, pump it though the system, let it sit for a few hours. Then flush it out twice and refill with fresh. I add a little product called Aquabon with each fill. Works really well, takes out foul taste and smell as well as keeps it fresh much longer. Tasteless to my palete. Granted I don't generally use the water on my boat for drinking. RT

cawinter

Member III
Inspection Plates

I have put Beckson plates (6", I believe) in all tanks. In the fall I spray vigorously with a hose, wipe down with Clorox/cleaner and then let them sit dry for the winter. For the lines I use vinegar and then antifreeze that is sucked straight out of the bottles (through a hose) into the drain fittings in the tanks. Easy to flush out in the spring. Tanks stay open all winter.

I used to use AQUATABS that were sold by a Canadian company through West Marine here in the US. Apparently the EPA/FDA? had concerns and pulled them. I spoke with a sales person in Canada, and they are working to reformulate for the US. BTW, I understand they are still for sale in Europe.

Now I just use the Hypochloride juice that everyone else seems to use in one form or another. Not as effective (I think), and I switch back to Aquatabs when they are back on the market.