Water Tank access ports

Mack8964

Member I
Is it possible to add access ports to plastic water tanks? I have two tanks with tiny 1 inch openings that look welded shut and one with a ~ 4" opening that is also welded shut (see pics). I took them out last weekend and cleaned what looked and smelled like a grade school science project gone bad. I'd just like to be able to get inside with a scrub pad to finish the job. During removal I discovered the v-berth tank grey supply line was loose and fell off before I took the tank out. At least I know where the water was coming from.

20200722_151518.jpg
20200722_151505.jpg
20200722_151444.jpg

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Is it possible to add access ports to plastic water tanks? I have two tanks with tiny 1 inch openings that look welded shut and one with a ~ 4" opening that is also welded shut (see pics). I took them out last weekend and cleaned what looked and smelled like a grade school science project gone bad. I'd just like to be able to get inside with a scrub pad to finish the job. During removal I discovered the v-berth tank grey supply line was loose and fell off before I took the tank out. At least I know where the water was coming from.

View attachment 34751
View attachment 34752
View attachment 34753
Yes, we have inspection ports in both our water tanks. They are Ronco plastic tanks, with a plastic cover like you see in chandleries, with the plastic frame screwed in place and sealed with Silicone. Doesn't leak, and allows cleaning with a sponge or rag.
Frank

wynkoop

Member III
I have a single access port in the top of Silver Maiden's water tank. In fact that is how the water gets in the tank. Ericson put no deck fill on the E27.

I think my port is a 4 inch, but any reasonable size should be fine in the top of your tank.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You might call Ronco (builders of most of these 'plastic' tanks) and ask them about "Spin Welding" in a 6 inch inspection port. This process actually melts the plastic around the fitting and permanently welds it to the surface. They might know of a local vendor that could save you shipping costs, or at least give you a quote for doing the work. They have been really helpful every time I have called them or sent in a question.
They have gotten good references from Ericson folks here for 20 years. :)