Water Holding tank location E35-2 1979

simplemonkey

Member I
I am wondering if anyone can lead me to my fresh water holding tank? I am new owner of E35-2 1979, Hull 556 in New Orleans, LA, and the p/o sells the vessel with little knowledge of the boats systems. The pressure water pump seems to be sucking air, so I am going to refill the tanks, but I was wondering where all this water is stored. May be a common sense question, but I have looked all over, and cannot put my eyes on the tank.
Thanks, David

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Congratulations on your new boat...I hope she will not be too painful for too long.
My water tanks are under the forward berth, there are two of them. The hard part of working on them is access, for which you need to rip up the forward berth almost completely. The tanks were well made, the hoses were cheap junk. Some later boats had the tanks under the floor in the main cabin, but I do not think the 35-2 had that.
When you fill the tanks, does the water leak out completely? The pick up for the pumps is at the bottom of the tanks, so if they do not leak the pump should be getting water, in which case the problem may be the pump.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Tom Plummer

Member III
My E-35 Mk 2 was built in 1981 and is closer in age to yours than Gareth’s. I have a single 25 gal tank forward and a 25 gal tank under the floor in the center of the salon. So E-35 defiantly came with the under the floor tank as an option. :boohoo: If the tank springs a leak like mine did it is a major pain in the rear. :mad: I still have not been able to bring myself to the point where I am willing to cut the floor pan to get to old tank out. I just installed a water bladder under the settee and called it good.

simplemonkey

Member I
Thanks Gareth and Tom...
I filled the fresh water tanks...wherever they are...and the pump primed itself and seems to work fine now. Tom, were you able to view the tank under the floor from the bilge openings? I have probed around all three openings and do not see what I would expect a tank to look like...

Thanks,
David

Tom Plummer

Member III
Yes you can. On my boat the tank can be seen from three location. I have a keel steped mast and there is a deck hatch just to the STBD of it and the front of the tank can be seen there. There is a seat locker opening under the settee coushion just aft of the aft head bulkhead and the inlet and vent fittings can be accesed from there. The back of the tank and the outlet fitting can be seen from the mid salon deck hatch.

chrism

Inactive Member
I've also got the 25 gallon tank in front of the engine... I've also got a leak :esad: ...

If/When we take it out, we'll put a holding tank in there. (Of course, we won't connect it to the water system :egrin: ) It looks to be a supreme location for a holding tank if it can be accessed without compromising the integrity of the hull. I'm not too sure as to how a fiberglass boat is supported, besides the bulkheads and the compression post...

Chris