Water heater

bruce v

We have a "new" to us 1984 E30+. We moved aboard at the start of March here on Lake Erie (Harbor North - Huron Ohio). We had to wait for things to thaw out at the end of winter and then suffered through April's "showers". We had no running water at that time and a winterized Universal Diesel that still doesn't start (we are on the hard now and in the midst of trying to solve some of our new owner delimas. Finally got the water tank hooked up and the water pressure system working (I "bleached" the first tank of water to clear any potential hidden nasties and then turned on the water heater. No hot water! Well, we'd like to fix that ASAP as we have now been "camping" at the docks for the last 2 months in our new home and, truthfully, it has been irritating to have to haul water and then boil some just to have some sense of hominess. Unfortunately for us, we did not receive an owner's manual and did not know enough about this boat to get to where we need/want to be. We did replace the "plastic fantastic" valves for the sink drain and the cockpit scuppers (all part of the same system) before we could even work on the water flow. That had to wait for our May haulout as fear of breaking the stuck plastic valve to the through hull suggested possibilities of sinking at the dock. So...here we are. Oh, by the way I also replaced the raw water valve for our motor even though it was "working". I do not trust plastic and bronze is so much better. Lots of info, perhaps to much, just to get info on where my danged water heater is, wether there is a valve for it, and how to get it working. HELP PLEASE. Anyone?

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Take a look at the water heater and see if it attached to the 110v shore power system through your AC panel.

If it is, and it has power, you may need to change out the element, which is no big deal. They burn out if somebody turns the heat on when no water is in the tank.

If it isn't currently wired for AC, and the heater model will accept AC as well as engine heat, I'd call an electrician. No way I mess with shore power.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
The Water Heater must be full of water before the 110v is turned on. If it isn't, the element will burn out. The heater is filled by running the pressure water with the faucet in the hot water position until water runs clear with no spitting. The element can be checked by checking continuity of the element at the connectors. Also voltage can be checked at the element.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Some water heaters also have a reset button. Heater must be full of water, power on, AC on /plugged into shore power, then push the reset button. It's red on our heater and hard to see, depending on your installation. Ours is on top of a small square box on the side of the heater.
Frank

Last edited: