Water Heater Replacement '88 E32-3

jgarmin098

Member II
The water heater (Atwood) on my '88 32-3 is near the end of it's useful life. What advice can anyone provided regarding what brand to replace it with and what I should expect during the removal/install process?

saildog

water heater

I know a guy that has a Tartan and the water heater is all stainless, top quality. I'll ask what kind it is.

You race that 32?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Several years ago I replaced our factory water heater when the outer shell was getting badly corroded. I went with an Atlantic brand. Foam insulation, and the inner tank is SS, and so is the shell. One suggestion I would make is to avoid any brand with an inner tank made of aluminum -- it corrodes and puts some powdery oxidation into the water system. Ick.

One other observation - stick with the factory 6 gallon size. I was trying to make the re-install go easier (and did indeed do this) by going with the 4 gallon size. It heats very quick, but due to incoming cool-water-dilution the internal temp drops noticeably faster when drawing it down, compared to the old 6 gallon tank. It's no big deal for us since we do not shower aboard (inside) anyway, but it would be a limiting factor if we did...
:rolleyes:

This advice worth about what you are paying, especially in US $.
:)

Cheers,

Loren

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I just installed an Isotherm/Isotemp 6 gal slimline in my 35. SS inner and outer tank. They claim it will keep water hot for 24 hours. I have not used ours yet but we will see if that is true.

Last edited:

stbdtack

Member III
Only have good things to say about isotemp. All SS, great insulation. Best part is the adjustable mixing valve that adds cold water to the hot to give you the temp you want. Much more usable hot water. Pricey but 3 days later the water is still warm....

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Tank: same or different?

So why wouldn't I just replace it with the exact same make and model (Atwood) that lasted for the past 20 years?

Short answer is "yes"... with the caveat that a lot more than the tank goes bad in 20 years. When we did ours, the hoses that connected the tank into the coolant circuit were starting to crack from heat and time and were slightly swelled where they were clamped onto the tank. That's a significant purchase of 5/8" hose right there.

Then, the factory AC wire run to the heater element needed updating to the modern tinned wire (ours was Ancor Boatcable, but not tinned). Also, some of the water supply fittings in that area were due for upgrade -- in general, some of these fittings may not respond well to being wrenched on, disconnected and moved around...

I used that tank replacement project and required opening/draining of the coolant system as a good (and overdue) excuse to replace all the engine coolant hoses and put new coolant in the diesel.

Not your situation, but we had already decided to install a Heatercraft brand fan heater unit in the boat's interior and run that hose loop in series with the water heater tank, so I was combining projects. And then, once you open up the system, you might as well put in a thermostat, etc etc...
:rolleyes:

I do agree about the attraction of using the same make/model tank, but note that technology may have improved a lot in 20 years and newer designs may be worth your time to epoxy in the old mounting holes and redrill. :nerd:

As to having the aluminum inner tank, quite a bit of gritty oxide poured out with the last of the water when we emptied it, after removal from the boat. :p

Whatever you do, try to post up some project pics.
As Red Green would say: "We're all pullin' for ya."

Regards,
Loren

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I like the old unit.

After twenty years I was happy with the low price spread. BTW, the Attwood tank is now Seaward Products.

I don't need water to stay hot for three days. I really have no idea how long the water stays hot in my tank. I never go three days away from the dock without using the hot water or running the engine.

ref_123

Member III
Isotemp - thumbs up

Isotemp does indeed hold water warm for 24 hours, and the slimline model fits into the cockpit locker of e32-3 without disassembling. Works great for us.

Regards,
Stan

jgarmin098

Member II
So, I'm guessing you were able to haul that old Attwood out of your 32-3 so you could replace it with the isotemp. How did the removal go for you?

Justin Lee

Isotemp

I did the Isotemp thing myself...very happy with the result! I will say that I had to cut the hatch opening wider to get the old unit out...bring a sawzall! :egrin:

Justin Lee

I went for the Slim Square one...model #IT-SS-16-110. It takes up MUCH less room than the old round one & was a cinch to mount/install. It only holds 4.2 gal but that is more than I ever need. This unit was also easier to get into the hatch & work on than that old round job! I highly recommend this one!

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
My 35-2 has never had a water heater and it is on the list. I was thinking of placing it behind the backrest of the port settee. it looks like the perfect out of the way place that is hard to make use of any other way and is close to the engine without taking up easier to get to space. the only drawback I see is that it will rest on the side of the hull above the waterline and may on time mar the outer finish in some way from the heat.does anyone have thought pro or con of such an idea? is it brilliance or foolish? the inexperienced minds want to know. thanks in advance, Edd:egrin: