Water Heater for E29

jkenan

Member III
Does anyone have a suggestion for an appropriate water heater for the E29? Ideally, I'd like a 10gal or 11gal heater, but space limitations the port locker (really the only place to install the heater on this boat) limit me to a 6 gal. I spoke to a techie at Force 10, and he suggested running 2 6gal heaters in line. Also, this unit is just slightly larger than the opening, which means I would have to cut away about an inch of the opening to allow it to fit. Seems like a pain. Any ideas or suggestions?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Our O-34 came with a six gallon. It corroded out and I replaced it with a four gallon. Four is barely enough to wash a few dishes the next morning, so were I doing it all over again I would get another six gal.
If you are on shore power, either size or even bigger should be fine.
If under motor, the more tankage, the longer it would take to warm up the diesel....
As to material, get a tank with a SS inner tank. Our factory tank had a painted shell that corroded out and an alum. inner tank that was also corroding.
For drinking water, SS is the only way to go, IMHO.

Best,
Loren in PDX

cruis-n

Member II
Remove the cover

You might want to consider removing the outer cover of the water heater to get it in the locker then reinstall the cover once it's in there. That way you don't have to cut up the boat. That was how I removed and replaced the hot water heater on my 35-3. After removing the cover I was left with the tank covered in insulation. Wrap it up in a garbage bag to protect the insulation and in it went. I had about 1/2 to spare.

jkenan

Member III
Found an Atlantic Marine Stainless 10Gal. never used, but a couple years old, for about half price. They specifically make odd shaped units to fit into unlikely places. Have it set up in the port lazarette next to A4 heat exchanger and muffler riser, and planning to build removeable shelf over everything (including gas tank) to protect equipment and prevent stuff from being lost in bilges. Only problem now is the boat will probably list to port with all the equipment there. Thinking of countering with a flexible water 36 gal. tank on the starboard side under winch, between hull and liner. I also remember reading somewhere it was desireable to add weight aft with this boat, but I'll have to search...

BTW, just spent the last 5 days on our 'New' boat, and made much progress. Installed heat exchanger, water tank, temp and oil warning kit, autopilot (I have a great solution for rudder sensor arm), holding tank, and stereo. Still much to do....

Regards,

John