Water Heater for E-32-3

captrick

Member I
First, thanks to everyone on the solar panel recommendations. Installed 60w / 3.5a with PWM controller that is working very well. New sense of independence!:)

Water heater appears to be leaking water from the underside (can't tell where exactly). Have done some reading on the board and the concensus is the 6 gal. cylindrical tank will most likely need to be partly disassembled to remove through starboard lazarette.

For replacement, don't want to spend the $ on some of the more expensive models. Have done some reasearch and the Seaward 6 gal. stainless exterior / alum tank seems to be a pretty good value. Does anyone have any experience with their products?

Failed to measure while at the boat yesterday, but does anyone know the width of the starboard lazarette opening on the '87 32-3? The heater is 13"H x 13"W x 19"D. If I can get through the lazarette, seems it would be at least 13" wide.

Any thoughts, advice or recommendations you can share prior to my embarking on this next project is greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.

Rick

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Rick - I got about 18 years out of my Seaward Products 6 gallon tank and replaced it with another. I understand that they last longer if you install their magnesium anode in place of the drain valve, but I haven't done it. I have the anode but I have to pull the entire tank to install it on my E-34.

I can't address installing it on an E-32-3.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We have an E-32-3 in our yacht club. Owner is out of town for a while, but gave me permission to board and measure that seat hatch opening.
Standing in the cockpit and looking outward (to starboard), it is a uniform 11" wide. Distance along the front, the narrower side of it, is 23.5".
Distance along the longer outside edge is 27.7".

I can see the water heater under the center part of the cockpit sole, and would hazard a guess that at the least you will have to get the least dimension down to that 11" by perhaps removing the jacket and insulation. If that's not enough slenderizing, get out the saber saw.
Luckily the new one will likely be one of the rectangular ones and fit right through the opening. Hopefully.
:rolleyes:

The Isotemp site states that the diameter of their "slim and round" model is about 11 3/8". A bit of work with a grinder would allow that one to pass thru, as long as you could orient it once it's down there. Their "slim square" version looks quite do-able, also.

Best,
Loren

Attachments

• water-heater-slim-square.jpg
    water-heater-slim-square.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:

captrick

Member I
Thanks for measurement

Thanks Loren for going out of your way to get that measurement. Makes me feel better about my figure as I can squeeze in through the opening :) (I thought for sure it would be bigger than 11").

I really think the Seaward is a good value so I am going to do a little contemplating on how to get it into the boat. I have a hard time justifying the price for some of the Isotemp water heaters (we're talking 6 gallons of hot water...).

Not sure what to do, but if push comes to shove, the rectangular one pictured should go in quite easily.

Tom...was the Seaward you used (and new one purchased) a SS exterior or galvanized?

Thanks again.

Rick

Akavishon

Member III
Rick, I've done the replacement job this summer, and the only way to get the tank (atwood) out and a new one in was to cut into the fibreglass lip underneath the starboard lazarette. If you remove an inch or so of material (say, using a dremel tool), the tank can be muscled out.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Tom...was the Seaward you used (and new one purchased) a SS exterior or galvanized? Thanks again. Rick

Galvanized. I'm in fresh water. The original was also galvanized and was in salt water for the first nine years with no external rust showing when the tank started to leak.