Water Heated By 110 Ac, And Engin Oil

Captain Dave

Inactive Member
Water Heated By 110 Ac, And Engine Oil

I own an Ericson 28+ built in 1984. she has a universal atomic diesel engine,
two cylinder, 11 or 12 hores power. The cooling system is raw water.
I think normaly when one heats water " the hot water heater" with the engine, it's done with an inclosed cooling system,were the engin coolent circulates through the hot water heater.
Not mine. Engine oil is circulated through the hot water heater.So far I haven't been able to find anyone that has heard of heating water in this maner.I would like to find someone that has seen , heard of, or better yet , engineered a system like this.
thanks.
Captain Dave.

Last edited by a moderator:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hot oil = hot water

You have the only example I have *ever* heard of using oil to heat the drinking water. Perhaps a prior owner made this interesting change -- They would have had to put in a remote oil filter and then route the oil lines thru the tank coil either to or from the filter housing, as I see it. There would be some sort of reducer fittings to match the usual 5/8 hose connection I have seen on most tanks. :confused:

This must increase your total oil capacity, as well. Plus it would leave more oil behind when you change out the sump.

Your boat may truly be a one-of-a-kind. :rolleyes:

Best,

Loren

Last edited:

stbdtack

Member III
Thats very interesting, I have seen oil temps get to 250F in some engines. You must have some "hot" water" Probably great in keeping the engine cooler. With cold engine oil pressures getting above 50psi you must have a special heat exchanger in the water heater. Would be great to see a pic......

Dan Hayes

Member III
You might want to trace your hoses...

You might want to take a minute and trace the path of your hoses...

I also have an Ericson 28+, which was originally set up for raw water cooling. An option offered on these boats was fresh water cooling. I believe those boats with water heaters were all built with fresh water cooling. This is a good thing, as your engine isn't bathed in salt water every time you run it...

The fresh water system is hooked up to a heat exchanger, and hoses run to the water heater. I think if you check carefully, you may find that's the case.