Wanted Ericson 27 East Coast

Big Kahuna

Hi,
I am looking for an Ericson 27 on the East coast. I am in the Rehoboth DE area. Spent my early years on an Ericson 39 sloop in the Newport RI area.
Now it is my turn! I want to cruise the coast, escape the madness from time to time. Sail the Key's before Dimentia sets in!

My price range is $7,000 - 10,000. I know this puts me in an older boat, and that's OK with me. I have seen many nice 27's in my price range, just not near me.
Any buying help (things to look out for, or avoid) would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Aloha

Last edited:

rwpajak

Member I
Why Not An E26

I have a 1987 E26 which has always been a fresh water boat on Lake Champlain and is for sale for $21,245. Newer boa many upgrades, very good condition and none of the "old boat" problems. Send an email to rwpajak@comcastnet and I'll send you a flyer. We moved up to a bigger, much slower boat, an Island Packet 29.

Dave Hussey

Member III
Screw rotation

The original internal auxiliary power for the E27 was an Atomic 4 gasoline engine, with a clockwise rotation of the screw.
To counter the torque of the thrust, the shaft exits the hull with an offset to the right.

My E27 has a Volvo 10 HP diesel, which has a CCW rotating screw. This creates thrust torque in the same direction of the offset, compounding the problem, and creating a nasty, tiring helm pull to port, which I have to counter with a lot of effort to starboard.

Still, you cant beat the economy of diesel powe, even with the extra drag on the rudder.

Good Luck in your search!

SAILSHIGH

Member III
hey Kahuna

Hey Kahuna,

Make sure to visit Woodys Crab House in North East Maryland. Great little North Bay Town. They have the best crabcakes bar none on the Chesapeake.

I was out there this summer and saw a E27 at Tidewater Sales in Harve D Grace Maryland. It was in the Marina with a sign on it.

Good Hunting,