Wanted: E-34 in Northeast

Brian K

Member III
I'm looking for an Ericson 34 for sale in the Northeast, the closer to central NY the better. I know Galatea is for sale, nice boat but asking more than my resources allow, and I've looked closely at Inertia in West Haverstraw, NY. Please keep me in mind if you know of any for sale, or one that may be coming up for sale this year. Thank you. Brian King, brian.king@us.ngrid.com

Dferr

Member II
I looked at Inertia also. Very nice boat with a lot of stuff. I made an offer of $45,000 But the owner wants a little more. I was holding off to see if he could come down, no luck. I'm now involved in a 1982 E-38. Their is a 34 down in Florida I made an offer on of $43,000 without seeing it, and the owner excepted. I planned to go see it, and if it was worth it, have it shipped back up north. After recalculating all the costs, it didn't make much sense to me. So I never did go see it. Anyway, good luck with your search! If I hear or see anything I'll let you know.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
That's a tough one Brian. Not many 34s out there and even less on the right coast it seems. I had been looking for a nice one in the NE area for the last few years. After looking at the 34, decided the 35 suited my needs better. 35s are a little more common. What about the 34 is limiting you to this model? The 35 is virtually the same(sailing, performance wise) but with a more traditional layout.

Brian K

Member III
I really like the aft head and private aft berth in the 34. But that configuration does leave things a little more crowed in the dinette area. Yes, unfortunately it seems like there are few E-34's. Thanks for the info. Further feedback is welcome. Thanks!

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Those were also some of the things that I liked about the 34. However the aft head is less private when you have people in the cockpit. The Galley layout was ok but the salon seemed a little pinched compared to the 35. I also really, really like the separate shower stall on the 35.

We do not usually have overnight guests and have no kids so the aft cabin was nice but not as necessary as we thought. We love the huge v-berth(compared to our P28) and it is very private when we have had overnight guests.

Don't get me wrong though, if a nice 34 came on the market before I found our 35, I might now have a 34 instead.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The wandering head compartment

I really like the aft head and private aft berth in the 34. But that configuration does leave things a little more crowed in the dinette area. Yes, unfortunately it seems like there are few E-34's. Thanks for the info. Further feedback is welcome. Thanks!

I agree with you about the "tri cabin" layout with head aft. We like that layout in our Olson 34. Having said that, I have visited aboard an E-35-3 with the separate shower stall and that would be a blessing for cruising.
Like the E-34-200, our aft head touts a shower right in the head compartment with a nice teak drain grating... but we do not want to get soap and water all around that compartment. :rolleyes:

The other plus for an aft head is, that for those of us in rainy areas, the head is adjacent to the main hatch when coming below with dripping foulies. Ours also includes a large hanging locker in the head compartment to hang up that stuff.
Changing viewpoints agaiin, when we are aboard our friends' E-33, the interior "social area" seems much larger than ours.

Every model has it's pluses and minuses - choose your compromises and try to never look back...
:D

Loren in PDX
1988 Olson 34

ps: you also need to assess your desire for a navigation desk. My Olson and the E-35-3 both have good-sized desks, as does the E-33. The E-34 has a small aft-facing table with no backrest for the user.
pps: Just looked at the ad for "Inertia" and the engine info appears wrong - should be a Universal M25XP, 23 hp.

Last edited:

Brian K

Member III
Tim, that's very helpful feedback. What year and what version of the 35 do you have? Mk. II or Mk. III? We are in the same situation as you - kids grown, and normally we wouldn't have overnight guests. Excellent points Tim. Thank again, Brian King, brian.king@us.ngrid.com

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Good point Loren, I always forget about the wet foulies issue. We did consider an o34 when shopping because I thought it would be awesome to have a boat with a 2 digit PHRF and I saw the pictures of that blue boat with the custom transom but the only one I could find was the boat in MD. that bounced around a few different brokers. Interesting to have a broker describe a boat as pristine with water stains 4 inches up on all the bulkheads!

Brian, we have an '85 MK III. The MK II is also nice but I wanted a newer boat and we just fell in love with the lines of the MK III.