wanted 1983 E30plus diagrams

joshstohr

I just got a 1983 ericson 30+ i keep it downtown portland. Trying to bring
her back to new but am desperate for plumbing/electrical etc diagrams. I
see you have one electrical diagram posted which is very helpful. After
countless hours searching for them on the internet I thought I'd try a post and see if anyone might point out where to find that type of
information.
thanks so much!

WhiteNoise

Member III
Congrats on the 30+. It's a fun, fast cruiser/racer. I have had some great trips and even won some regattas.

I have almost completely gutted my '84 30+. I will say that some of the plumbing/electrical runs left something to be desired so I would definitely recommend some changes. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Good luck and contrats on a great boat.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Can you describe some of the plumbing and electrical changes you made, and the reason for those changes?
Thanks,
Frank
1984 E30+

joshstohr

Thank you. It sure is a lot of fun. THis 30+ was hardly used at all so it was in great shape. IT's just hard figuring out what needs to be replaced after 25 years of just sitting. Also I'm really trying to figure out the systems onboard but there's just no resources out there. For example- a brochure says there's a separate shower bildge that can be pumped either by whailer(located in head i assume) or by electric pump. The only electric pump onboard I would assume would go to the main bildge although it cuts off just a moment after being turned on the circuit breaker pops(age maybe?) Which leads one to wonder if the whailer pump in the head is for pumping waste overboard or is that even an option?
You're the only person i've ever talked to that has a 83/84 30+. I'm really excited to bring her all up to date and get her all dialed in. Flooring is dull and some roated out what did you do for yours? Plasteak? How do you get that flooring out? Do you have any decent pictures of the interior work you've done on yours? It would be fun to see what to aspire to.
maybe emailing works better: I'm at joshstohr@gmail.com
thanks again so much

Congrats on the 30+. It's a fun, fast cruiser/racer. I have had some great trips and even won some regattas.

I have almost completely gutted my '84 30+. I will say that some of the plumbing/electrical runs left something to be desired so I would definitely recommend some changes. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Good luck and contrats on a great boat.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
The drawings available on this site are a good starting point. But I have noticed that although they may reflect the way things were designed, they may not be how they were actually built.

Meanolddad

Member III
I have a 1985 E30+. Mine came with the diagrams and I sent copies to Sean so they could be posted here. Mine were not the greatest so they did not reproduce all that well. Consider them more of a guide. A lot of changes are made in 25years of previous owners. If you have any questions I may be able to look at mine and answer them. My shower bilge is pumped with the bilge pump via a y valve located in the head. You can either choose to pump the bilge or shower pan. My bilge pump died about a year ago and had to replace it. Mine did not pop the breaker, it just did not pump anymore. Replaced it and all is well again. The whaler in the head in ours is to pump the waste. We have the usual y valve in the waste line for overboard or holding tank. The whaler pumps the holding tank overboard. Our boat is a basic 30+, tiller steering, no hot water, no pressure water. no shore power, pretty simple and easy to maintain. Great fun to sail, you will enjoy owning one.

Hope this helps
Greg

WhiteNoise

Member III
Some ideas that worked for me

These are some of the changes I've made that work for me but may not for all. Everyone is different but here's my logic.

Electical:
Issue
My AC panel was located underneath the sink in the galley on my '84 (AC power, under a water source...not a fan). Additionally the shore power connection was in the cockpit just left of the wheel. I found this to be in the way.
Resolution
While redoing the DC panel I put in a new AC panel next to it. Still actually finishing some of this as we speak so I can post some pics when I'm done. (It's 17 degrees here now though so that may take a while, haha). I am moving the AC shore power connection just above it, outside of the cockpit.
Issue
Wanted to be able to manage my nav lights from the cockpit.
Resolution
After removing the shore power connection to the left of the wheel, next to the manual bilge pump, I had a hole to fill. I mounted a small waterproof panel to control my running, anchor, steaming, and deck lights. This panel is a sub panel to the main DC panel. This not only allows me to control my lights from the cockpit but also frees up some space of the main DC panel.

Plumbing:
Issue
The cockpit drains are connected to through hulls, below the waterline. Though these have valves, they cannot be closed when leaving the boat as the cockpit would fill with water in rain. The starboard drain ran to a through hull located underneath the aft quarter berth, under a cushion, under a cover that required a flat head screwdriver to remove. I wouldn't consider that to be readily available. The post-side drain ran to a through hull that is T'd to include the drain for the galley sink.
Resolution
I removed the though hull on starboard, glassed over, faired, sealed, etc.
The galley sink drain I still have connected to the through on port, but that's it and is easily reached though the cabinet door under the sink. I can close the sink drain when away from the boat.
I added through hulls just above the water line (just below the boot stripe) for the cockpit drains. I have cruised, raced, and even moored my boat through some hurricane weather without any issues. All while being allowed to close every though hull in my boat.
Issue
Shower sump was controlled by a diverter valve between it and the bilge. I really don't like showering in the boat. It has its issues (moisture, mold, smells) and one drawback of our boat is the head is SMALL. For my use of the boat I really don't use the shower in the head. I (and my wife included believe it or not) am just as happy with the Sun Shower on the foredeck. We are both tall, me 6' and her 5'9' so that is just better for us (and I emphasize FOR US) This may not work for others.
Resolution
Remove the shower sump. Cover and finish with a nice piece of teak and holly. A sink is all we need in there.

Recommendations:
You use hot water? We don't. The Universal M18 and 5416 (depending on what yours came with) I slightly underpowered. I found the water heater to cause a bit of drag on the cooling system and once removed, the motor seemed much happier. This also makes maintenance much easier. Our port lazarette is a dumpster (lots of space) but my water heater (a 6 gal. Seaward) was right behind the motor not only making maintenance (secondary fuel filter specifically) difficult but also made access to the packing nut virtually impossible which I found to be a bit dangerous. If you must have hot water I would suggest Isotemp's tiny 4 gal slim square model as that could fit underneath the quarter berth.

Feathering 2-blade prop. What a difference!!!
Not folding though. Folding props are fine but lets remember that "we" have an already underpowered motor and I like to maximize as much thrust as possible.

If you don't have any autopilot, get it. Great for those long legs cruising. Not the fastest way to sail but when cruising you may have more important tasks than speed. :cheers:

-Chris

Last edited:

WhiteNoise

Member III
Tiller on a 30+?!?!?!?!?!

Meanolddad (Greg)

Love that screen name by the way. haha

30+ tiller steering? Didn't know that was an option, or standard for the matter. Please, please, please send me some pics.
I have been considering the conversion. I feel the cockpit really was designed for that setup.

WhiteNoise

Member III
New toys, new options, new tiller?

Greg

Just found a pic on the website. That's just the setup I want!!!
Where are your motor controls? I see the Universal panel but am curious about the throttle/shift.

Do you know by chance who make the tiller head assembly on your boat? Mine has a deck fitting over the rudder post for the emergency tiller (which is basically unusable because any make-shift emergency tiller one could make that could actually clear the wheel and pedestal would be ridiculous to use).

-Chris

Meanolddad

Member III
Hi Chris
The screen name is one I recieved from my daughters one weekend when my older daughter Jessica had another friend Jessica over. We all got nicknames that weekend. Mine was MOD for Mean Old Dad. Funny mine is the only one that really stuck.
We really like the tiller on the boat, nice and simple. The motor controls are mounted on the port cockpit bench, under my left foot on the picture attached. I will take a good picture of the head head assembly this weekend and see if there is any manufacturer marks on it.
Greg

Attachments

• tiller picture.jpg
    tiller picture.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 75

joshstohr

coool. that sounds like a fun way to go. As far as the basics- I have an electrical bildge pump mounted out of water next to the engine. I'm not sure where the water pickup for it is? The shower bildge or the main bildge? or are you saying you can go back and forth with y valves in the head? there are also a whaler pump up above in the cockpit (assume that pumps the main bildge) and a second whale pump in the head. Would the whale pump in the head be there just for pumping the waste tank out? or are you saying that most likely can also be switched between pumping out waste tank or the shower bildge?
I recently learned that there even was a shower bildge separate from the main bildge there under the main table. Where even is it? Is there access to the shower bildge(or shower pan as i've heard)???
I'm sorry to have to have it spelled out for me but it's taken me months just to figure it out this far without any diagrams or not being able to see through fiberglass:)
thanks for any plain english I VERY MUCH APPRECIATE IT

These are some of the changes I've made that work for me but may not for all. Everyone is different but here's my logic.

Electical:
Issue
My AC panel was located underneath the sink in the galley on my '84 (AC power, under a water source...not a fan). Additionally the shore power connection was in the cockpit just left of the wheel. I found this to be in the way.
Resolution
While redoing the DC panel I put in a new AC panel next to it. Still actually finishing some of this as we speak so I can post some pics when I'm done. (It's 17 degrees here now though so that may take a while, haha). I am moving the AC shore power connection just above it, outside of the cockpit.
Issue
Wanted to be able to manage my nav lights from the cockpit.
Resolution
After removing the shore power connection to the left of the wheel, next to the manual bilge pump, I had a hole to fill. I mounted a small waterproof panel to control my running, anchor, steaming, and deck lights. This panel is a sub panel to the main DC panel. This not only allows me to control my lights from the cockpit but also frees up some space of the main DC panel.

Plumbing:
Issue
The cockpit drains are connected to through hulls, below the waterline. Though these have valves, they cannot be closed when leaving the boat as the cockpit would fill with water in rain. The starboard drain ran to a through hull located underneath the aft quarter berth, under a cushion, under a cover that required a flat head screwdriver to remove. I wouldn't consider that to be readily available. The post-side drain ran to a through hull that is T'd to include the drain for the galley sink.
Resolution
I removed the though hull on starboard, glassed over, faired, sealed, etc.
The galley sink drain I still have connected to the through on port, but that's it and is easily reached though the cabinet door under the sink. I can close the sink drain when away from the boat.
I added through hulls just above the water line (just below the boot stripe) for the cockpit drains. I have cruised, raced, and even moored my boat through some hurricane weather without any issues. All while being allowed to close every though hull in my boat.
Issue
Shower sump was controlled by a diverter valve between it and the bilge. I really don't like showering in the boat. It has its issues (moisture, mold, smells) and one drawback of our boat is the head is SMALL. For my use of the boat I really don't use the shower in the head. I (and my wife included believe it or not) am just as happy with the Sun Shower on the foredeck. We are both tall, me 6' and her 5'9' so that is just better for us (and I emphasize FOR US) This may not work for others.
Resolution
Remove the shower sump. Cover and finish with a nice piece of teak and holly. A sink is all we need in there.

Recommendations:
You use hot water? We don't. The Universal M18 and 5416 (depending on what yours came with) I slightly underpowered. I found the water heater to cause a bit of drag on the cooling system and once removed, the motor seemed much happier. This also makes maintenance much easier. Our port lazarette is a dumpster (lots of space) but my water heater (a 6 gal. Seaward) was right behind the motor not only making maintenance (secondary fuel filter specifically) difficult but also made access to the packing nut virtually impossible which I found to be a bit dangerous. If you must have hot water I would suggest Isotemp's tiny 4 gal slim square model as that could fit underneath the quarter berth.

Feathering 2-blade prop. What a difference!!!
Not folding though. Folding props are fine but lets remember that "we" have an already underpowered motor and I like to maximize as much thrust as possible.

If you don't have any autopilot, get it. Great for those long legs cruising. Not the fastest way to sail but when cruising you may have more important tasks than speed. :cheers:

-Chris

WhiteNoise

Member III
shower or bilge

What he was saying is the diverter chooses between the shower sump and the main bilge, all powered by a pump underneath the aft quarter berth. The whale pump in the head is to pump the tank overboard.

joshstohr

aaah, I see. The electric pump that pumps either the shower sump or the main bildge is an old diaphram type pump located by the engine with a very low looking gph on it. All the hosing is 5/8 inch. I guess this was ok in 1983 but now I'm hearing that a 30 ft boat should have at least a 1000 gph pump. The current pump is old and pops the breaker every 3 mins or so after it get s real hot. Because the hose is only 5/8 inch that wouldn't support the existing hoses anyhow. What would you recommend just putting in a whole new bildge system? If so know anything about running 1 1/8' hosing from the main bildge back? I got in the bildge with a flashlight and it looks like there's just no way of knowing where to run the hose to get it to the back to a aft through hull. Should I just decomission the shower sump and replace the existing out of water pump? what's your plumbing/bildge system utilizing?
thanks
Josh
What he was saying is the diverter chooses between the shower sump and the main bilge, all powered by a pump underneath the aft quarter berth. The whale pump in the head is to pump the tank overboard.

WhiteNoise

Member III
Under the teak and holly floor is pvc conduit piping. The hole from the shower sump goes back to an access under the dinette seat against the bulkhead. You will see that these pipes are small and will not fit 1 1/8" hose (These are above the main bilge). That being said the manual pump uses a larger hose (1 1/5") I believe. You should see the pickup for that mid ship in the main bilge.

I abandoned the shower sump. We don't use it.
My bilge pump was replaced and functioning but I do plan on replacing it with a new pump at some point. The fastest that supports the current hose size.