Wallas 1300 or webasto 2000

Flyertim

Sailing in Alaska
Espar Diesel Heater

Hey all, I'm trying to get away from the pressurized alcohol cozy heater I have. Does anyone have any experience with these and are they worth it? Looks like some assembly will be required.

I have a Espar D3 diesel heater in my E31 down here in Sitka. Works very well and uses very little fuel. You might want to check out Ebay for these.

Tim

Dave N

Member III
I have a Webasto forced air unit. It draws air from the cabin to heat, is very compact(located in the engine compartment), creates a lot of heat, and uses very little fuel which it draws from the main diesel tank.

Last edited:

907Juice

Continuously learning
amp draw?

I have a Webasto forced air unit. It draws air from the cabin to heat, is very compact(located in the engine compartment), creates a lot of heat, and uses very little fuel which it draws from the main diesel tank.

I'm leaning more towards the Webasto for those reasons. Which model do you have and do you know how much power it draws? My boat doesn't have that large of a power bank. I shouldn't need it much but it is nice to take the chill out and dry off.

Dave N

Member III
I'm leaning more towards the Webasto for those reasons. Which model do you have and do you know how much power it draws? My boat doesn't have that large of a power bank. I shouldn't need it much but it is nice to take the chill out and dry off.

Give me a few days to get the specifics and some pics.

Guy Stevens

Webasto

Having worked on both the Webasto and Espar units, and having a number of customers with each. The Webasto units are much more robust, have less issues, and are easier to work on.

For what it is worth.

Guy
:)

Jason G

Member II
Just installed a Wallas DT 30 on my E34-2 and am quite impressed. It's basically silent and on paper is the most efficient amps and fuel consumption per BTU. It's overkill for a 25' boat but regardless I'm impressed with the Wallas product line.

-Jason

JoeR

Heater

Jason
I am thinking of the Wallas 30dt for my Ericson 38, can you share your experience as well as some install pictures? Is it as quiet as they say? Would the smaller unit do the job? Any input would be great.
Joe

bolbmw

Member III
I'm also tempted by a Wallas for my 30+. I don't have much space on the 30+ but this may be an easier option than doing a bulkhead mounted heater...

Jason G

Member II
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgI recently installed a Wallace DT30 in my E34-2. Outside the cabin sitting in the cockpit you can barely hear the exhaust or fans running. Like any forced air heater there is a little noise from the heater outlet ducts more so when on high and the fans are blowing full speed. It's been consistantly dipping into the 30's here in Seattle and the heater can keep the boat around 65-70 at those outside air temps. It takes a while because I'm heating the entire boat. One of the first things I did was remove the doors to the V-birth so that area is always open. Both heater outlets are on the bottom of the engine cover. I put the heater return air inlet in the aft cabin to help circulate the warm air. When it's 40 deg or greater I can get the boat up to 75-80 deg. I'm a live aboard and primarily use electric heat. I also have a dickenson p9000 propane fire place. When it's in the low 30's If I don't use the electric heat and just use the propane fireplace and the forced air diesel heater I can get the boat up to 80 deg pretty quickly. I sometimes wish I had gone with the larger DT-40. The E34-2 is not an easy boat to run 3" duct through and I wanted to keep my runs as short as possible. I'm very happy with the product and service from Scan marine.

I apologize for the pictures not being rotated correctly. I'm posting from my cell phone. image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 810
Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
That is a tidy installation!
Did you put a new tap into your fuel tank? (Curious because that looks like a difficult job on your model boat).

Regards,
Loren

Jason G

Member II
I was lucky in that my boat had a new fuel tank installed a few years back and there was a spare 1/2" NPT port not being used. Before the heater install I used that port to check fuel level with a dip stick.

907Juice

Continuously learning
Espar truck kit to marine

Hey all, been a bit since I've been around. I've been enjoying my winter but now spring is here. I scored a steal of a deal on a brand new espar d2. I've been looking through the internet and there are lots of conversion kits around. But it mainly looks like all I need to get started is a through hull and an upgraded double wall exhaust tubing with an internal silencer. Has anyone installed a heater from scratch? Just looking for some ideas. Prob gonna stat working on it this week. Mostly I'm just excited to get rid of my pressurized force 10 kerosine heater. That thing was a fire waiting to happen.

Juice