Waiting on survey

Lorih

Member I
U r right

Thankyou. We went back and looked at the pic.WTH?
And both boats pictured look better than the pics we received from the surveyor. Hubby is calling our broker now.honest mistake or purposely misleading?
Survey write up coming this weekend. . I wasnt going to post until after the results. But since I am here...how much rust is normal for a boat engine? This boats engine has a ton of rust.
Before we make a decision. We will share some pics etc.
And providing the survey has no other big surprises we have decided to drive the 13 hours to the boat before we comit. Thank you for your help and kean eye.
The survey pics were a disappointment compared to the add pics. We have been told over and over the adds are 1 yr old the bottom has flaked a heck of alot in a year. Water intrusion from the ports, not seen in the pics. Engine covered in rust, and the wood on deck faded and varnish peeling, oil in bilge and now pictures that aren't the boat. We wanted this boat. It is all we have thought about or talked about. I just don't know what to think

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Sorry to hear about how this is developing for you both! Although buying a boat is usually a bit unnerving and has it's anxious moments, it should also be fun and then rewarding in the end. Unless you receive additional information that rules it out completely, I think you probably need to make the long drive to see the boat--otherwise you will always wonder if maybe it was better than you feared and you might have missed an opportunity.

However, given the uncertainties you raised, be very careful to not let your emotions mislead you into buying a boat that might not be right for you. It's one thing to have some repairs and lots of cosmetic clean-up; it's another to have to replace the engine, do major fibreglass work, buy new sails, re-do all the woodwork, etc. unless you get an exceptionally good price and enjoy doing that kind of project work.

I always told my kids--there's never only one perfect car, perfect boat, perfect boy/girlfriend, perfect house--if this isn't the right one, there will be others. The hard part is recognizing that and then being patient until the right one comes along.

Good luck in whatever decision you make. When you do buy a boat, this site has lots of experts ready to provide helpful information.

Frank

Emerald

If this one doesn't work out, that's OK. Just think of this leg as identifying the fact that you really should buy an Ericson and this particular model might be on your short list. There are a lot of boats out there. Get the right one. I think it's still a buyer's market out there, and that may include putting in a low offer on this and see what happens. Just make sure you have the headroom in the purchase price to do what you need to make it the right one.

:egrin:

Last edited:

Pat C.

Member III
Most engines have some rust but not a ton. Excess rust reflects lack of care. Likely lack of use as well. That's the more important issue, if it hasn't been used/started at least somewhat regularly it can lead to main seal leaks and other engine problems. Diesel engines don't break from use, it's a lack of use that kills them. Yours is a freshwater environment so rust/corrosion should be less an issue. Rust from water intrusion (including a past sinking) and humidity will effect everything, from cushions to the integrity of structural bulkheads. So the engine rust may be a sign to look very carefully for other things, to say nothing as to the engine integrity itself.

Pat C.

Member III
And in spite of what your broker or surveyor says, don't kid yourself...the pics are purposely misleading. Not a reason not to drive and look, but definitely a reason to play hardball.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Thankyou. We went back and looked at the pic.WTH?
And both boats pictured look better than the pics we received from the surveyor. Hubby is calling our broker now.honest mistake or purposely misleading?
Survey write up coming this weekend. . I wasnt going to post until after the results. But since I am here...how much rust is normal for a boat engine? This boats engine has a ton of rust.
Before we make a decision. We will share some pics etc.
And providing the survey has no other big surprises we have decided to drive the 13 hours to the boat before we comit. Thank you for your help and kean eye.
The survey pics were a disappointment compared to the add pics. We have been told over and over the adds are 1 yr old the bottom has flaked a heck of alot in a year. Water intrusion from the ports, not seen in the pics. Engine covered in rust, and the wood on deck faded and varnish peeling, oil in bilge and now pictures that aren't the boat. We wanted this boat. It is all we have thought about or talked about. I just don't know what to think
There is so much about this deal that smells that I would walk. The red flags here are significant.

Lorih

Member I
Some questions I have for you guys.
Aside from the fact we don't know much about motor, etc other than boat was checked on the hard with winter cover on, and engine and systems were not run what knowledge can you share with us on these issues
Rudder good condition.has increased moisture readings but no signs of saturation
Slight cracking at hull keel. Bolts tight and holding fast
Ports appear structirally ok but show signs of leaking on interior
Bulkhead below galley sink shows separation
Some dirt and water in bilge
Engine has oil leaks and has rust. Shows some signs of overheating
Running rigging and rodes appear aged

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi,
Although I'm quite forgiving when it comes to sailboats, and especially Ericsons cause they're great boats, the problems you are mentioning are serious enough that I think it may be the wrong boat for you. I think you said this would be your first boat,;if so, you want one that has been quite well cared for, and this one hasn't had that care. I would forget about this one and look for one that has had better maintenance.
Good luck!
Frank

Last edited:

Lorih

Member I
Boat

She also needs bottom paint which we knew
It seems the.slight cracking at keel is a common occurance on ericsons.I saw on here 1800 to repair? If it is holding fast does it need immediate repair
Rebedding of port lights seems par for the course with old boats. I am curious what the retabbing under galley sink entails. We don't think it's structuraL from where it is but are checking.
Rudder appearing ok but just showing signs on meter oF moisture is that a Huge comcern?.
As for the motor...I am assuming the worst. I think we will head north to check it better.
I F she needs a rebuild my husband can do. To repower totally I suppose we are looking at 12,000
After months of research we have narrowed our search to an ericson 35 -3. It has the reputation we want as well as having the sail ability we want. She is large enough for our family and will be small enough for just us when the time comes. There are several very nice boats we have seen for sale but at a cost we cannot afford. We can afford this boat and feel although we may have more into her at the end than the boats that "appear" to be in good shape once we are done we will know what we have. we are finding appearances aren't always what they seem.
There is something to be said about making wonderful bones great again. That being said of course we don't want to get involved with a money pit from hell.
Thankyou for all of your help and sharing of knowledge. We are almost at the end and I appreciate you all seeing us thru to the end of this part.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I think you should look at 10 more boats before you buy one.

Five boats on, you'll breath a sigh of relief that you didn't buy the first one.

The search should be fun, and the more knowledge you gain the more fun it will become.

Pat C.

Member III
I agree with Christian, but I also think you are getting ahead of yourself. Still yet to see the boat. Unlikely she is going anywhere on the hard with winter bearing down on it. If you see it and feel the need then get some earnest money to hold it until weather allows a sea trial then make that move and then continue looking. You are as close to Atlantic and Gulf coasts as you are to Wisconsin. Can look at a lot of boats there then decide if the one up north is indeed the one.

As far as your question, it is not difficult to tab that bulkhead, it is not structural if it's the one I believe you are describing. Getting to it to tab it may be another matter. The one bulkhead you must inspect is port side between salon and head, and the only way to really inspect it is to pull the head holding tank. Anyone who says they can inspect it without doing this is flat out wrong. Since one bulkhead needs tabbing I would insist on seeing this ones integrity. Bulkhead to starboard easier to inspect, there is an access panel for water tank valves right there.

As far as the engine, if your husband has experience and the time then rebuilding yourself is an option. Just beware it is not a gasoline engine. You can slap together most any gas engine and it will run well, diesels are not nearly as forgiving. But again ahead of ourselves. Get someone to check the compression. Or do that yourself if they will allow. It's not hard and can be done without starting. If it's good may not need a rebuild. If it's had clean fuel, air and oil then it may be okay. If not then likely a major job.

These jobs take time, lots of it. Even more time for us all who are not boatbuilders or mechanics. More still for you all with little to no experience. Time you could be sailing. Combined with you not knowing the art of sailing or the vessel herself your experience is likely to sour before you can experience the good side of things.

Pat C.

Member III
Other questions- slight cracking at keel skeg joint common. Freshwater boat, keel bolts likely okay but must confirm then determine if water intrusion. If so, then need to drop and rebed keel.

Some mention of flaking bottom paint makes me wonder about blistering. If so barrier coat repair equals time and dollars.

if the leaking ports you describe are the opening ones beware that these (at least mine) were bedded originally with 5200 and are nearly impossible to remove (don't ask how I know this). If the fixed ports(dead lights) then easier but still lots of work. Be aware these boats leak from the cabin top dorade box and it can appear the leak is from the ports. That leak is a whole nother topic to be discussed another time. But it is repairable with proper expertise.

Academically speaking the rudder should be dry. Most all have some moisture, either secondary to immersion or thru the rudder tube via cockpit access plate. In a hard freeze area if it was a problem I would think it would crack, but not sure. Compared to some of the other questions, replacing the rudder relatively easy.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It d/l and then was open-able with a click.
Considering that the boat is on the hard, there's a limit to what can be surveyed. OTOH, even with all the boilerplate text, there is some useful information there.

Nothing seems to show up that has not been discussed here already, though.

Some things to put on your to-do list are 80's Ericson-specific like a keel rebed, and others like the checking the housetop storage compartment for core water penetration are more specific to the E-35-3.
Some chores are common to all boats over 20 years old -- new standing rig is needed if not done recently.
If the original wire-to-rope halyards are still there and providing meathooks for errant hands, replace with line. Lots of good threads here about that.
Engine wiring for your diesel needs some careful inspection, too.

Further along, if cleaning and treating with MacLube does not have the traveler car moving easily, a new one can be sourced from Garhauer or Harken.

Steering: did the surveyor check the cables and turning sheaves beneath the cockpit? Rudder stuffing box? (imho, he should have done this)

Ericson 35-3 owners and those with similar 80's models here will have suggestions.

Looking ahead at spring days, try to plan some coffee and cookie (or wine & cheese) meetings with fellow owners - Ericson and Olson - in your area. Our NW Ericson gatherings have often been a highlight of our summers for many years. (Or... proof that our lives are dull and uninspired otherwise...)
:rolleyes:

Anyhow, post up some pix when you can.

Regards,
Loren

Pat C.

Member III
Read the survey, if it's me I'm definitely driving to take a look at her. Nothing unexpected mentioned for a boat of her age. Any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Good luck!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"There have been no significant upgrades to any systems on this vessel"

Translation: everything is worn out. Take a hard look at what you intend to repair or replace, put a dollar or time number on it, and compute the fair price from that.

Emerald

"There have been no significant upgrades to any systems on this vessel"

Translation: everything is worn out. Take a hard look at what you intend to repair or replace, put a dollar or time number on it, and compute the fair price from that.

and then maybe throw an extra couple thousand in the budget just to make sure....

Lorih

Member I
Tired boats and people

For the price they are asking there is enough wiggle room to upgrade. Even if we have to repower her we will have less into her than the vessels we see for sale.
The one thing we are very pleased with is the upgraded keel and that the spot that shows compression under the mast of so many ericsons has already been fixed. I noticed the no upgrades as well and I figured tored
We have some money set aside to fix her up.. as long as her bones are.good...which sounds that they are
I called the marina she is located at and they know of the boat. She was pulled this fall under power .to the lift so we at least know motor runs.
I think she is just a bit weary...and aren't we all?
Wish I could be upgraded too.
Thankyou all for sharing. We have considered all and are moving ahead at a reduced price.Good bad or in between

Lorih

Member I
Boat

I'd take my fine 1979 Ericson over any BeneCatHunt, any day.

"She has a bluff bow, lovely lines. She's a fine sea bird... Weatherly, stiff and fast. Very fast, if she's well handled. No, she's not old. She's in her prime."

http://www.anyclip.com/movies/maste...e-of-the-world/analyzing-the-attack/#!quotes/

Sea bird would be a nice name for her. But I dont think we will change her name. Don't need to tee off any gods or anything.
Thank you for this post. I hope we don't t need to come here for a ton of repair tips and rather can come to share adventure and fun but suspect it will be a bit of both. Goodman to know either way we can.