Viking Hospitality

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Alameda 3-2024 PtC 68.jpg
Big thanks to Ray Durkee, @Pete the Cat In February I mentioned that Donna and I would be visiting my son in Alameda, CA. Ray very kindly offered to take us sailing. We met on March 12 for a great day on San Francisco Bay in his E32. Ray kept apologizing for the 50º overcast weather, but for two New Englanders who’ve been land bound since September, it was pure tonic.

Alameda 3-2024 PtC 86.jpg
Ray single-hands much of the time so he ably did most everything while Donna and I traded off driving. It was interesting to drive a 32 compared to our 35. In many ways it felt like home. The 32 is noticeably more responsive. I imagine the difference to be similar to that between a BMW 3-series and 5-series.

Alameda 3-2024 PtC 80.jpg
The requisite photo of the GG Bridge and The Rock.

Alameda 3-2024 PtC 78.jpg
I was fascinated by this boat which, IIRC, has been there for many months. I am surprised the authorities haven’t held the owner responsible for removing it.

Alameda 3-2024 PtC 87.jpg
The big container port was a new experience for us. In Narragansett Bay we rarely see more than a single car carrier or tanker. We had some interesting encounters in SF that take on special significance after what happened in Baltimore.

The final leg was a poled-out jib run where Ray had me steering 40’ off the channel wall to avoid tug boat wash. I’m glad he knows the waters and his boat. I was nervous.

It was really fun meeting another EYo-er, swapping sailing stories, and getting to know each other.

Thanks Ray!

While I’m at it, shout out to Mark @mjsouleman and Steven @peaman who we’ve met in person here in NE. Great folks and they’ve been very helpful. Mark’s monthly video meetings are fun, too.

Cheers,
Jeff (& Donna)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ray kept apologizing for the 50º overcast weather

I had to smile. There is something about living in California that causes great chagrin, as a host, when the weather isn't perfect. I've been apologizing all winter...visitors don't care and ask, what are you, the Chamber of Commerce?

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
That boat by TI (Treasure Island) has been there I think for over a year now. Interesting that there is a Coast Guard station not more than a mile south of it and yet it remains. At least it is easy to spot and stay clear! The city front is much nicer viewed from the water. Glad you got out to see the sights. Good job Ray.

Pete the Cat

Sustaining Member
Always my pleasure to take anyone sailing. I am a single hander normally, but love having crew. I am in SF Bay from Nov to May and in Maine (Penobscot Bay) from late May to late October. The invitation is extended to all to contact me. I feel really fortunate to have the opportunity to sail in two of the best places on the world on a couple of capable boats. And I very much enjoy share the experience. I have had terrific crews from all my visitors and crews (when I did deliveries in the olden days) and learned something from every one who was on board.

Pete the Cat

Sustaining Member
Ray kept apologizing for the 50º overcast weather

I had to smile. There is something about living in California that causes great chagrin, as a host, when the weather isn't perfect. I've been apologizing all winter...visitors don't care and ask, what are you, the Chamber of Commerce?
Well..it was really ugly. And overcast. This winter has not been characteristic of some light winds and pleasant sunshine I generally expect on SF Bay. The next day after the visit was gorgeous. You know how it goes. I have to admit that sailing at my summer home in Maine is dicey as well. And seeming more so as our old somewhat predicable weather patterns seem to be getting wildly weird lately. Seems like the wind shear I was accustomed occasionally on final when flying is now down at the mast level and ubiquitous. Another function of climate change? I dunno.

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
View attachment 49570
Big thanks to Ray Durkee, @Pete the Cat In February I mentioned that Donna and I would be visiting my son in Alameda, CA. Ray very kindly offered to take us sailing. We met on March 12 for a great day on San Francisco Bay in his E32. Ray kept apologizing for the 50º overcast weather, but for two New Englanders who’ve been land bound since September, it was pure tonic.

View attachment 49571
Ray single-hands much of the time so he ably did most everything while Donna and I traded off driving. It was interesting to drive a 32 compared to our 35. In many ways it felt like home. The 32 is noticeably more responsive. I imagine the difference to be similar to that between a BMW 3-series and 5-series.

View attachment 49572
The requisite photo of the GG Bridge and The Rock.

View attachment 49573
I was fascinated by this boat which, IIRC, has been there for many months. I am surprised the authorities haven’t held the owner responsible for removing it.

View attachment 49574
The big container port was a new experience for us. In Narragansett Bay we rarely see more than a single car carrier or tanker. We had some interesting encounters in SF that take on special significance after what happened in Baltimore.

The final leg was a poled-out jib run where Ray had me steering 40’ off the channel wall to avoid tug boat wash. I’m glad he knows the waters and his boat. I was nervous.

It was really fun meeting another EYo-er, swapping sailing stories, and getting to know each other.

Thanks Ray!

While I’m at it, shout out to Mark @mjsouleman and Steven @peaman who we’ve met in person here in NE. Great folks and they’ve been very helpful. Mark’s monthly video meetings are fun, too.

Cheers,
Jeff (& Donna)
So very, very jealous. N'Easter today here in Mass. brrrrr

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Well..it was really ugly. And overcast. This winter has not been characteristic of some light winds and pleasant sunshine I generally expect on SF Bay. The next day after the visit was gorgeous. You know how it goes. I have to admit that sailing at my summer home in Maine is dicey as well. And seeming more so as our old somewhat predicable weather patterns seem to be getting wildly weird lately. Seems like the wind shear I was accustomed occasionally on final when flying is now down at the mast level and ubiquitous. Another function of climate change? I dunno.
Yeah, I regret our schedule wasn't more flexible. We put the nice weather to good use. My son and his wife took us for a hike then a winery visit. But we still had a lot of fun with you, Ray, and will hold that memory fondly. Thanks!