VHF Deal

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
Best Location for Install

OK, so I bought this VHF to replace my old (non DSC VHF). I am contemplating installing it in the cockpit. I am thinking of buying a hatch cover and creating an enclosed "storage" area on the starboard side of the boat at the helm. Even though the components are "weather" rated, they would be located in this created "storage" area and protected from both the weather and would be thieves!

It just seems to me that on an E-27 that the time I would actually need to use the VHF is when I am sailing and since I single hand a lot, it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to locate the vhf in the cabin.

Looking for some sage advice from sailors with similar situations. By the way, I do have a 5W handheld VHF that I have been carrying on my pfd in the event of a MOB (me!). The handheld can go in the cabin at night!

Unfortunately this model does not have the capability to use a 2nd mic., which I suppose would have been ideal.

Attachments

• ns100ss.gif
    ns100ss.gif
    24.7 KB · Views: 141

treilley

Sustaining Partner
If you have a handheld, then why not mount this in the cabin?

I have a nav station unit with a remote mic at the helm. When I single hand, I have my submersable portable clipped to my belt.

Last edited:

toddbrsd

Emergency Situation

One of the reasons for getting the new VHF was for the DSC feature. Seems like if I am in an emergency situation, I don't think I will want to go down below to use that function. The other location I am looking at is right next to the companionway (right above the engine!) so it "could" be used from the cockpit but not at the helm, since I have wheel steering. (too far)

While 5W of power (handheld) is probably sufficiant for an emergency hail, since I mostly day sail, or occasional trip to Catalina, I would just as soon have the full 25W at my fingertips.

Just trying to figure out the reason for a VHF in the Cabin for my type of sailing. Heck I probably could just get by with the Handheld, but I am all about redundancy. Makes me (and my wife) sleep alot better!

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
When I first purchased my E-27 it had a VHF mounted just under the companion way step. A Marine Surveyor told me that it was a bad location because that's the first place the water would come in if the cockpit get's flooded or water splashes in. He also told me basically anywhere around the companion way is a bad location for electronics getting splashed on. Also condensation can tend to collect there. I also wanted easier access from the cockpit so thats why I put my new DCS VHF where it is. See attached. The radio I have is a Sea Ranger, which is basically a WM radio and it is submersible and also has a 20 watt hailer which I have a quick connect adapter so I can hook up my hailing speaker that mounts to my midships starboard stanchion.

I guess for another $100. bucks or so I can get a remote "Ram" mic, but I have not done that. I have noticed a big difference between the range on my Icom hand held and the 25 watt fixed mount. I can easily talk from the cockpit with my fixed mount where it is located while holding the tiller. All the buttons I need are on the mic as well. My tiller pilot also helps so I can be free to use more features on the VHF.

My 2 cents. :egrin:

Attachments

• VHFLocal.jpg
    VHFLocal.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

toddbrsd

Thats Option 2 location

Thanks Jeff,

One of the other reasons that this particular VHF was attractive to me was because well it is more attractive! I don't care for all of the exposed wires. IF I don't put it in the cockpit, my other option that I mentioned is to put the speaker (which also contains the on switch) right above where your vhf is hanging on the side wall of the storage compartment. Then place the mic hanging on the "bulkhead" on the inside of the cabin in that little "nook", keeping everything, including the dangling mic wire, nice and tidy.

Although not shown in the picture, the kit comes with a cord that plugs into the back of the speaker so you can remotely locate the mic, since the mic also has an internal speaker. Not long enough to get it to the helm though IIRC!

Still looking for that one aha moment as to why it "should" be located in the cabin

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Still looking for that one aha moment as to why it "should" be located in the cabin

"aha moment " I know what you mean. Took me a week to decide where and how to install my radar display so it could swing out and in. I have since cleaned up the exposed wiring shown it that old pic, except for the Mic wire. All the wires go up into one hole under the cabinet now.

toddbrsd

Yeah but what good is that tiny AIS screen in the cabin!

Back to original question:egrin:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Because It allows you to know where the big ships are in the fog and how to contact them directly. I believe you will also get audible alerts when they are in close range. You could still mount it in the cockpit, cut a hole and flush mount it or mount it to a steering pedestal.

Most sailboats I have been on or seen have the vhf mounted in the cabin. This unit also comes with a remote mic. You could also mount it on a swing arm like I have my radar mounted.