Ventilation 25 +

GMC

Member II
I'm sure a basic question to all of you, but new boat to me. My 25 + has two vents at the stern on both sides. Duct work was non-existent on one side and falling apart on the other. I will get new ducting, but where exactly am I leading ductwork to? What am I trying to accomplish? Thanks for any help. These are my only vents. Is one intake? Both, exhausting? thanks. Inboard, diesel saildrive.
GMC

Last edited:

Emerald

Typically the one with the duct would lead to a bilge blower with a pickup at the lowest point practical/possible in the bilge by the engine. Are you inboard or outboard?

Emerald

It's never bad to have it. There are all sorts of explosive fumes that are heavier than air that you might have on board (propane, alcohol, etc.) so it is not bad to be able to suck out the bilge. With the diesel, you want to evacuate heat, and the pickup may be at the top of the engine compartment instead of the bottom.

Last edited:

SurabyaKid

Member III
On my E26 the blower is located under the starboard quarterberth and is acessable by an inspection port. The suction pickup hose from the blower runs to the bilge while the supply hose from the other vent runs to the pan at the back of the diesel engine.

As Emerald said, if you have propane or other heavier than air gasses, the pickup should be lead to a low point where the gasses are likely to settle.

Pat

Glyn Judson

Deck vents, a bilge fan and only one hose.

Dear Mr. GMC, Only one hose is needed and it should be led from one of the vents, through the bilge fan and to the lowest part of the bilge in order to evacuate any heavier than air gases but typically only used for five minutes BEFORE starting an inboard engine. If you have an outboard, it becomes a moot point especially if you only have an outside gas tank such as a red six gallon one so often seen with outboard use. That said, my former boat, an E25+ had a factory installed, 24 gallon tank under the cockpit sole yet only had an outboard engine and never an inboard. the other vent needn't have a hose at all as it's strictly used to pull fresh air in as the other one removes the bilge air. Hope this helps, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA