varnish remover

amaxopulos

Member I
Anyone have any experience getting varnish off the gel coat with out ruining the gel coat. I will send pictures but I just finished redoing my hatch and after alot of trial and errors, I am sold on West Marine Multi caulk for the seams, works like a charm. Dug out the old and no leaks. Also please one more time a lesson on balacing and making sure the mast is upright and not leaning towards a specific direction. Thanks Alex

treilley

Sustaining Partner
For varnish, if it is on a flat section a good pull scraper used carefully will work. If on non skid, I like using a Q-tip with a little acetone followed with soap and water cleaning.

Sven

Seglare
Really sharp knife or razor balde followed by acetone.

I agree, single edge razor blade pressed down hard so it it just about parallel with the surface. Move it slowly enough so you don't risk gouging if it catches the surface.

-Sven

Brisdon

Inactive Member
To see if the stick is straight and not leaning to Port or Starboard you can use the halyard. Tap it to one rail with the slack taken up so that it just touches, and then tap it to the other. If there is slack in the halyard, or if it doesn't touch, adjust the upper shrouds until it is exactly the same. You can get the lowers and intermediates in column with the uppers by laying on the deck with your head next to the mast and sighting up the stick to detect any curve in the pole. After everything is in column, you can tighten the shrouds in matched pairs using an equal number of turns on each side of the boat. The rake of the mast (fore and aft) is something you can spot from a distance until it suits your taste.

If you have varnish in the non-skid, you can use a varnish remover that is stated as safe for gel coat. There's more than one brand. Just get it off quickly and it should be fine.

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
For varnish removal on gelcoated surfaces, Interlux makes a
product called Pintoff 299. Follow the directions carefully,
and you should have no problems.

amaxopulos

Member I
Thanks guys that was wondeful advice

Thank you I will follow those steps. I have a new one any one out there has come up with a brilliant step do avoid everytime you have a rain and open the hatch all that water coming in from on top of the hatch​

ref_123

Member III
SolarVent

Absolutely! Don't open the hatch when it's raining :).

If money is not a huge issue, I would put in one of those solar-powered fans so that you can have fresh air if it raines or shines.

Regards,
Stan

Thank you I will follow those steps. I have a new one any one out there has come up with a brilliant step do avoid everytime you have a rain and open the hatch all that water coming in from on top of the hatch​

amaxopulos

Member I
My bad

Sorry i didnt do a good job with that question. Im not blonde :) I meant I have the hatch closed when it rains. I am on the inside and after it has stopped raining I go to open because I live in the inside. I get trenched from the water that is sitting on the hatch. Hopefully I wrote this right. thanks Alex