Varnish dilemma: wife's unhappy

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi,

So now I have a big problem. The interior varnish on my 1984 E30+ had various nicks, scratches, some peeling on the hatch frames and one area where a previous owner had hung a chart tube which had rubbed against the wood next to the windows and removed most of the varnish there. So I did alot of prep sanding, applied a coat of Captain's gloss varnish but found it too shiny. So after a light sanding to roughen the surface, I applied two coats of Captain's satin varnish to all the areas except the horizontal wood above the settee/below the windows. The latter were still in excellent shape and didn't need anything.

I think it looks really good--no more nicks or scratches, the satin looks sedate and quite elegant and the varnish has "refreshed" the interior so it looks almost new. I quite proudly showed my wife, but she did not agree. :esad: She thinks that the satin is duller than it used to be and the tint is a bit more yellow (though to me it looks slightly more brown than before). She thinks we have lost some of the richness and the reddish/orange of the teak interior. I can hardly tell the difference in colour or gloss between the old and the new, but she reminds me I'm wearing glasses. :confused:

So having given this quite a bit of thought, I'm thinking that any colour difference is likely a difference in tint of the varnish--some describe themselves as more amber, some gold, etc. And I think the slightly higher sheen she is recalling may be from some technique like "hand rubbed varnish" or something similar. I know we don't want high gloss, but it would be nice to have a slight "glow" to the satin.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can do to remedy this? I don't know how to "hand rub" varnish, so if that's a good option, can someone explain how this is done? Alternatively, would application of a teak oil or a furniture polish add a bit of lustre without making it too shiny or sticky, or would that just coat the varnish with an oily residue?

Any ideas are appreciated!

Frank

tenders

Innocent Bystander
On my boat, people who complain about the condition of the varnish are free to correct it as they see fit.

On my boat, people don't complain about the condition of the varnish.

Frank Langer

Thanks, Tenders. Normally I would agree that when I've done my best, others will simply have to live with the result. But this is a bit different, as we have been married 35 years and still have a very strong marriage, and furthermore, my wife often goes "above and beyond" to enable us to sail together and enjoy the boat (like for example bundling up in January to go sailing just because I'd like to go). So while I'm no wimp, I do try wherever possible to keep her happy and excited about the boat and our sailing. Besides, even at our age, she's still a real cutie! :)

She has told me that she will adjust to the "new look" and I'm sure over time that will happen. But if there is some way that I can improve the situation (without revarnishing--that would be way over the top!), I would like to do so.

So if anyone has any ideas, please send them along.

Thanks,
Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Others here have suggested that the factory was putting on varnish as an extra cost option. (oil being the stock finish.)

I wonder if this was after the fresh teak was stained with the suspected light cherry stain and then perhaps oiled?

Both my wife and I dislike that "reddish" look to the stock oiled interior. We have been redoing the interior, a section at a time, each winter. We clean the surface, and then bleach out the old color with Te-Ka A & B. After some sanding we varnish several coats with gloss varnish. I would really prefer a semi-gloss, but since the Admiral really like gloss, and has been willing to do a lot of the cleaning and finishing, it's fine with me. :cool:

We both just love the golden look to the natural teak.

I guess that I just like that new teak golden look, whether glossy or satin.
:)

Good luck on that refinishing... Lots of teak in an Ericson... Sure looks wonderful when it's all finished out!

LB

Last edited:

Lucky Dog

Member III
The beauty of wood is it isn't all the same.

I believe there was a post about the factory finish for below decks was a rubbed on oil finish. Your PO may have applied a coat of who knows.

When oily woods - teak - get sanded or cut the newly exposed wood is often a different shade. (Zebra wood looks blood red and ages to a brownish orange).

I teach cabinet making and prefer not to use varnish unless exposed to direct sunlight or outside.

I too prefer a satin finish, I think the richness and beauty is enhanced, instead of hiding behind the glare of a gloss finished. Great for outside, better protection.

I believe your color differences will settle out over time. The satin verses gloss....what ever provides more sailing, I am bringing home a sofa table that I started a year ago and have refinished the stain three times.

Changing stain is much easier and cheeper than changing wives.

ml

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
First of all, teak has green undertones. Mahogany has red undertones.
If you have a teak interior that is reddish, then someone has tweaked
the natural color. Secondly, most 1 part varnishes will shift in color
over time, usually yellow/amber. Trying to match perfectly what
is already there will be darn near impossible IMHO. That said,
if you are otherwise happy with the varnish as is and just want
a little more shine, you can rub it out to whatever gloss level you like.
This is what was done before satin finishes were available right
out of the can. This won't change the color, however. Regarding
satin varnishes, many people including myself prefer to do the build
coats in gloss, and finishing with 1 or 2 at the most topcoats of satin.
HTH
Martin

Frank Langer

Thanks for all your replies. They give me lots to think about. No one has suggested an oil or polish be applied on the satin varnish to give it a bit more lustre--would that be a bad idea?
Thanks again!
Frank

Emerald

I believe you'll find that if you put oil on the varnish, it won't be absorbed and will leave you with a film that is apt to attract dirt. I can't say that I've tried it first hand, so someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
No oil on top of varnish, please. Rub it out. Start with 400 wet or dry and
work up through the grits to 1000. Then go at it with a cotton diaper and Finesse It 2 until the shine is what you want.