Vang rubs against Mainsheet

seajunkie

Member I
This is my first experience with mid-boom sheeting. The mainsheet on my Ericson 28 goes from the traveler to the mast, up the mast then down the boom. Where it passes the Vang it rubs. Is this normal? Is there a way to avoid this? The mainsheet doesn't run as freely as I would like. I am removing the what seems to be about 7/16" line and changing it to 3/8" but I still think that it is going to rub.

Guy Stevens

Send us a photo!

It sounds like something is not quite right. If you can send a photo we can give you some better feedback!

Guy
:)

seajunkie

Member I
Vang Rubs Photo

The main-sheet on my 1986 E28 was too big. I changed it out with a smaller line that doesn't produce as much friction in the blocks. It still rubs the vang. Does anyone know if this is rigged correctly? The white line is the main-sheet. The sheet is on the port side of the boat right now while there are some old labels for the main-sheet still residing on the starboard side)

sheet rubing vang.jpg

Here are some photo's of the way it is run prior to changing out the sheet. In these, the sheet is black. Having all the lines the same color is very confusing for guest crew on the boat. (please don't mind the "brightwork"...priorities)

IMG_1011.jpgIMG_1012.jpgIMG_1013.jpgIMG_1014.jpg

AleksT

Member III
I could not see it in your photo but from your description I am assuming there is a block at the gooseneck that the main sheet runs through. Remove the sheet from this block and run it from the base of the mast to the first block on the boom. The sheet should then be below and parallel to the vang tackle. You may have to move the position of the block at the base of the mast to find the best lead.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Seajunkie - On my e-34 the main sheet goes from the base of the mast diagonally up to the blocks on the boom as shown in red.

Attachments

• Xanthus Mainsheet.jpg
    Xanthus Mainsheet.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 222

seajunkie

Member I
Ah, that makes sense. I don't remember what is just beyond where the vang attaches to the boom, but I imagine I could move the block there. I like this set up. Your rigging seems to distribute the load evenly to a number of places on the boom. I will look at this the next time I get out there. Thanks!

Don Smith

Member II
Inexpensive solution

A simple, efficient solution I used on my E26 was to attach the vang to the boom using a long, wide D shackle. The D shackle is attached to the bail on the boom, and the vang is attached to the to the D shackle. Then the main sheet is threaded through the opening in the D shackle so that the main sheet runs along the boom above the vang.

Hope this helps.

Captain Don
E26, Gitana

Last edited:

aquavit

Member II
My '90 E28 is rigged exactly as Tom Metzger shows.

Glenn (Aquavit, which may be changing due to another Aquavite in our marina)