Vang Novice

Calendrû

Member I
I have never sailed with a vang, so need some advice. I tried to sail wing and wing in my E26 and had a heck of a time keeping the boom opposite the genoa. The boom would lift, spilling the wind and around I’d go.</SPAN>

I have read that a vang would help with this, but being a complete novice with one I don’t know what to buy and what size. Any ideas for a 1969 E26?</SPAN>

clp

Member III
Yes, the vang will do that. It is my #1 piece of sail trim equipment, and I'd hate doing without it. It will definitely hold the boom down, as that is it's basic intention. There's a lot more to the vang than just that, (flattening the sail in heavy air, etc), but it'll certainly do what you're asking. Catalina Direct, Garhauer, etc, sells complete units, but I usually make my own with fiddle blocks, one of them having a cam cleat.

A preventer might be an order of business as well. A boom in a backwind coming across can do a lot of damage, to boat, and personnel. Some folks use the vang as a preventer as well, kind of a dual function device. However, I like to be in a position to get rid of a preventer in a hurry if it comes to that, broach prevention, etc.

Calendrû

Member I
Thanks clp. I am looking at

Mini Boom Vang, 5' Length, 4:1 Maximum Purchase, 20'L x 1/4"Dia. Line, 660b. MWL
<!-- BEGIN CatalogEntryPriceDisplay.jspf--><!-- END CatalogEntryPriceDisplay.jspf-->
Medium Boom Vang, 10' Length, 4:1 Maximum Purchase, 40'L x 3/8"Dia. Line, 935lb. MWL <!-- BEGIN CatalogEntryPriceDisplay.jspf--> <!-- END CatalogEntryPriceDisplay.jspf-->
Large Boom Vang, 15' Length, 4:1 Maximum Purchase, 60'L x 1/2"Dia. Line, 2200lb. MWL <!-- BEGIN CatalogEntryPriceDisplay.jspf--> <!-- END CatalogEntryPriceDisplay.jspf-->
Small Boom Vang, 8' Length, 3:1 Maximum Purchase, 24'L x 5/16"Dia. Line, 825lb. MWL

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

What would you recommend?

clp

Member III
I agree 100% with Keith on this one sir. 4 to 1 is your best option, and looking at your list, the medium may be the way to go. A 1/4" line in your hand doesn't grip well, and I use 3/8" on anything under 30' boat length. Near a thousand pound pull on the vang will be more than enough, and I'd rather have too much pull, than not enough. Once you have the vang, and get used to what it does, you'll be hard pressed to sail again without one.
If your boom doesn't have one already, you'll also need to get a boom bail to attach it to, and a mast hound at the bottom. Some mast steps have a plate at this point for similar options, like a vang point, or a block for the jib halyard, but study this attachment point hard. The loads obviously can be tremendous in heavy air, and the side loading with the boom stuck way out changes these loading perimeters exponentially. The upside is, is these loads are generally static, as opposed to shock loading.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
4:1?

Personally, I would use a doubler on the 4:1 for an 8:1 actual purchase, or you could do with a doubler on the 3:1for a 6:1, but I would really try to have at least 6:1. It only takes one more block and makes life MUCH easier.

For the 26, a 4:1 would be bare minimum, but since it is so simple to double the purchase you will be much happier with the ease of adjustment.

Just sayin'.....:nerd:

S

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
8 to 1 is a a good ratio...

Personally, I would use a doubler on the 4:1 for an 8:1 actual purchase, or you could do with a doubler on the 3:1for a 6:1, but I would really try to have at least 6:1. It only takes one more block and makes life MUCH easier.

For the 26, a 4:1 would be bare minimum, but since it is so simple to double the purchase you will be much happier with the ease of adjustment.

Just sayin'.....:nerd:

S

Agreed. I recall that our spring-return solid vang is a cascaded purchase leading to a 4 to 1, from the dead ended wire strop thru the sheave at the top. Seems to be fine for our sailing. Matter of fact I used it last night to bring the top of the main into a good position for a reach. It took just a touch of tension to get those top two tell-tales to flow.

Loren

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
While you are at it, bring the line back to the cockpit and through a line clutch. You will actually adjust it more than you think. I think I use the vang more than the traveler..... RT

CamD

Member II
I just keep an old halyard handy that I clip to a boom bail and run to a block clipped to the genoa track in the forwardmost position and run the line back to a winch. It acts as a vang and preventer. It's really simple and cheap but has to be moved out of the way when not in use because it blocks the side deck. I like to always have a preventer when running dead downwind as I don't totally trust the guy at the helm (Larry the tiller-pilot).

Last edited:

Calendrû

Member I
Ok. We have a range (8:1 to 4:1) any suggestions for a make and model? Thank you for your weighs in on this subject. Rob, your suggestion is well taken. Why have an adjustable thing you can’t adjust from the cockpit?</SPAN>

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Garhauer has very nice hardware and better than reasonable prices. Get one of their premade vang setups, less the line, and order the block for the mast base, the deck organizer, etc. to run the line back while you are at it. Consider if there are other lines you would like led aft. It makes sense to get a double or triple clutch, etc. rather then a single and then have to rework it again later. RT

clp

Member III
Totally agree with Mr. Thomas. I have always liked Garhauer blocks, their look just appeals to me. Prices are good too.
If you really want to be picky, and I am, you can buy blocks of whatever brand you like, and reave it yourself. My cam cleat fiddle becket is Barlow, and the fiddle becket is Fico. I'm weird that way, (most people have figured this out already).

Whatever you do, avoid this...lines.jpg